Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > India Pale Ale > All-Grain - Bee Cave Brewery Rye IPA

Old 06-21-2011, 12:34 PM   #91
DustBow
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I know Amarillo is technically one of the "citrusy" hops, but from the brews I've tried it really works well with rye

"Brewing beer is neither complicated nor expensive. It's the responsibility of the brewer to make it as complicated and expensive as their spouse & budget will allow."

Old 06-21-2011, 09:14 PM   #92
duffman2
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 5 Posts

Well DustBow, I'm with you. I think the combination will be fantastic. Of course I just brewed this yesterday for the first time, but I did go with the chinook/amarillo combo with the chinook being the dominant hop. I will dry hop with one ounce of each and hopefully it turns out the way I think it will.

Cheers

Old 06-24-2011, 07:59 PM   #93
Capn_James
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

I have 1# of rye grain and 1# of flaked rye. Will that get me close?

Old 06-27-2011, 12:47 PM   #94
DustBow
Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 19 Posts

I think that will be fine. I've seen guys on here who always split the rye portion of a recipe 50/50 flaked & malted

"Brewing beer is neither complicated nor expensive. It's the responsibility of the brewer to make it as complicated and expensive as their spouse & budget will allow."

Old 07-02-2011, 11:45 PM   #95
ruralbrew
Recipes 

Liked 97 Times on 56 Posts
Likes Given: 36

I brewed this up yesterday. Followed the recipe, except went with a pound of the crystal. My LHBS only sells by the 1/2 lb, so I figured if I was going to pay for a pound, I was going to use a pound.
It turned out to be a brew day from hell, first the SS braid in the mash tun got kinked, then it came off. I ended up doing a modified brew-in-a bag sort of thing. Then with about a half hour left in the boil, a big storm came through. Had to tear everything down and move to the garage. Ended up with a ton of trub in the bottom of the carboy. Even a couple pine needles. Guess I didn't get all of them fished out. But it is fermenting, and what is coming out of the airlock smells good. So I am sure it will make beer. I am thinking about dry hopping with an ounce of Cascade when the fermentation is complete. I figure with all the crap already in there, another ounce of hop residue won't make a difference.

Old 07-18-2011, 04:33 PM   #96
Coff
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 170 Times on 120 Posts
Likes Given: 109

How do you think this recipe would look with about 8ounces of some Cherrywood Smoked Rye?

Will the smoke not go well with the hops that this recipe calls for?

Old 07-26-2011, 10:56 PM   #97
ruralbrew
Recipes 

Liked 97 Times on 56 Posts
Likes Given: 36

I brewed this the first of the month and bottled last Saturday. Just cracked one open to see how it was coming along, and WOW! Malty, spicy and a great hop balance! And a head that just won't quit! It was way above the rim of the glass. I brewed this for my daughter for her birthday, I had never found an IPA I was too fond of, but she is very fond of them. But this is really good! Even with the problems I had on brewday it turned out fantastic. It will be brewed again, and again!

My hat's off to you, EdWort!

Old 08-14-2011, 01:09 PM   #98
Old_E
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Brewing this today. Rye is sticky! Wish I had thrown some rice hulls in. Sparge has been a pain. Other than that, its looking great!

Old 08-14-2011, 08:40 PM   #99
skyzo
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Brewed this today, smelled great going into the primary. Got better effciency than I expected and ended up at 1.070. This was my first ever rye beer, looking forward to drinking it!

Old 08-15-2011, 01:47 PM   #100
Old_E
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyzo View Post
Brewed this today, smelled great going into the primary. Got better effciency than I expected and ended up at 1.070. This was my first ever rye beer, looking forward to drinking it!
Funny. That's exactly what I ended up at, 1.070, even with my PITA sparge. I thought it was going to be low.