Coldbreak Brewing HERMS Giveaway!

HomeBrewSupply AMCYL Brew Kettle Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Cider Forum > Cyser - How much fruit?

Old 09-29-2008, 09:05 PM   #1
russb123
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Cyser - How much fruit?

I have a 6 gallon batch of Cyser going and want to rack off 2 of the gallons into 1 gallon jugs when primary is done and add some berries.

I will have 2, 1 gallon jugs and a 5 gallon carboy for secondaries.

Considering any fruit will displace part of the gallon of cyser, what would be a good amount of either blueberries or raspberries to add for a 1 gallon batch?

How long can you leave the cyser on the berries?

Do you add the berries whole or mash/blend?

Will there be any concerns with 1 gallon of headspace in my carboy for the other 4 gallons? (not sure if oxygen is as much of a concern with ciders as it is with beer).

Old 09-29-2008, 09:17 PM   #2
Tusch
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 9 Posts

Yes headspace is a concern. Either use a smaller carboy, or top off with more juice or a similar wine etc.

What is your recipe so far, not sure what to suggest exactly till we know where you are now. But I would suggest between 2 and 3 lbs of berries per gallon. But you can adjust that depending on what you are going for.

Old 09-29-2008, 10:24 PM   #3
russb123
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

From a previous post of mine:

Quote:
6 Gallons Sam's CLub Apple Juice
5 1/2 lbs - Honey
Activator pack of Wyeast 3068 Weihenstephan Weizen

I used a blender to disolve the honey into the apple juice and then added to my primary.

Fermentation took off almost instantly and is still happily bubbling away.
The yeast I used has a ABV tolerance of 10%

Old 09-29-2008, 10:37 PM   #4
Tusch
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 9 Posts

Well it depends on how strongly you want the fruit to come through, but with that recipe I think I would suggest 1-2lbs per gallon. Any more and you will begin to overpower the apple and honey flavors.

I think I would even suggest adding the fruit in your secondary as planned, and then when you rack off the berries, since there will be losses as you pointed out, I would top off with more apple juice.