Perry recipe? - Home Brew Forums
Register Now For Free!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Winemaking Forum > Perry recipe?

Old 09-29-2008, 07:34 PM   #1
Cugel
Recipes 

Mar 2008
Washington D.C. Metro area

Folks, I've been looking for a Perry recipe due to the 6 gallons of waiting-to-be-fermented pear juice in my basement. Perry is fermented pear juice, not pear wine. Does anyone have a recipe that they have used and would be willing to share?

Many thanks.

Primaries: Old Ale, Barleywine, ESB, Scottish 80/.
Secondaries: Lime Wine, Strawberry-Banana Mead, Carmenere (from 144 lbs of grapes!), Engl. Barleywine, Modded JOAM, Concord Grape Pyment.
Kegs: Choc/Coffee Stout, Saison, Dry Stout.
Bottles: Belgian Str. Dark, Dubbel, Cider X 2, Modded JOAM, RJS Pinot Noir, RJS Aussie Cab. Sauv.
Coming soon: Blueberry Mead.

Old 09-29-2008, 07:41 PM   #2
BigKahuna
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Feb 2008
Eastern Colorado
Liked 52 Times on 45 Posts

I'm pretty pleased with the one in my drop down so far.

Old 09-29-2008, 08:13 PM   #3
Cugel
Recipes 

Mar 2008

Thanks BK. Looks good to me. I am not sure how to translate this into a "from Juice" recipe, as opposed to a "from fruit" recipe.

There was a recipe in the Terry Garey winemaking book - my library has lost it in the 3 days since I returned it - no longer in the system. Should have copied that page.

I just didn't trust some of the recipes that google turned up. If only Jack Keller had a recipe.

Secondaries: Lime Wine, Strawberry-Banana Mead, Carmenere (from 144 lbs of grapes!), Engl. Barleywine, Modded JOAM, Concord Grape Pyment.
Bottles: Belgian Str. Dark, Dubbel, Cider X 2, Modded JOAM, RJS Pinot Noir, RJS Aussie Cab. Sauv.

Old 09-29-2008, 08:20 PM   #4
ChshreCat

Recipes 

Aug 2008
Camano Island, Washington
Liked 542 Times on 434 Posts

I'm still a bit of a noob, but I think you would want to judge with your hydrometer to match the recipe. Dilute until your OG matches the recipe. Would that be right, BK?

Old 09-29-2008, 08:43 PM   #5
BigKahuna

Recipes 

Feb 2008
Eastern Colorado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cugel View Post
Thanks BK. Looks good to me. I am not sure how to translate this into a "from Juice" recipe, as opposed to a "from fruit" recipe.

There was a recipe in the Terry Garey winemaking book - my library has lost it in the 3 days since I returned it - no longer in the system. Should have copied that page.

I just didn't trust some of the recipes that google turned up. If only Jack Keller had a recipe.
I'll look in that book when I get home and see what she has to say about it. I remember it being very simple....and was what inspired me to make mine.
To convert to a juice recipe...just take a gravity reading on your juice, and start adding honey till you hit that magic 1.060 (YOU COULD be pretty close with juice) then add the vanilla and yeast.

Old 09-29-2008, 11:18 PM   #6
Cugel
Recipes 

Mar 2008

Thanks for the idea guys! That sounds easy.

IIRC the Terry Garey recipe was like 0.5 lbs sugar per gallon, some acid and tannin I believe? Really easy.

Old 09-29-2008, 11:24 PM   #7
Mirilis
Lvl 10 Beer Nerd

Recipes 

Feb 2008
Greenville, Ohio
Liked 125 Times on 88 Posts

I just made 5 gallons of perry from a recipe i got out of a book. If you havnt started it I can give you that recipe if you want. Otherwise youll have to wait a month or two and find out how it is coming along :P

Old 09-30-2008, 12:31 AM   #8
Cugel
Recipes 

Mar 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirilis View Post
I just made 5 gallons of perry from a recipe i got out of a book. If you havnt started it I can give you that recipe if you want. Otherwise youll have to wait a month or two and find out how it is coming along :P
Sure - that sounds great. Thanks very much!

Old 09-30-2008, 12:38 AM   #9
BigKahuna

Recipes 

Feb 2008
Eastern Colorado

all 3 of Terry's recipes for pear wine are just that...wine. 2# + sugar per gallon plus either fresh, canned, or dried fruit.

Old 09-30-2008, 12:44 AM   #10
Cugel
Recipes 

Mar 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigKahuna View Post
all 3 of Terry's recipes for pear wine are just that...wine. 2# + sugar per gallon plus either fresh, canned, or dried fruit.
I think I remember a "box" on the page opposite a wine recipe that had an adaptation for Perry?