What Size Corks Do You Use - Home Brew Forums
Register Now For Free!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Winemaking Forum > What Size Corks Do You Use

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 09-29-2008, 05:15 PM   #1
bluespook
 
bluespook's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Jun 2008
Lititz, PA
Posts: 97


when bottling wines? I see different lengths and widths in the catalogs, but what's the story on how you choose? I will be using mostly 750ml bottles, but some larger and some smaller also.

Additionally, what do you recommend regarding a corker? Assuming I can pull together $75 or so bucks, what's the best bet?

Thanks,
__________________
Blue

It is what it is...a stress-relieving philosophy for a long life!

 
Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2008, 07:48 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluespook View Post
when bottling wines? I see different lengths and widths in the catalogs, but what's the story on how you choose? I will be using mostly 750ml bottles, but some larger and some smaller also.

Additionally, what do you recommend regarding a corker? Assuming I can pull together $75 or so bucks, what's the best bet?

Thanks,
I've used this floor corker for the past couple of years. It's less than $70 at Northern Brewer. Before that I used this double lever corker. At $25 it's ok but the floor corker is much easier to use.

You want to use good quality inch and a half synthetic corks or inch and three-quarters #9 natural cork for 750 ml bottles. Use #8 corks for 375s. Keep in mind that the double lever corker may not work with some corks. and that the floor corker may not handle very tall bottles, such as magnum bottles.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2008, 07:59 PM   #3
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png
 
Yooper's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Jun 2006
UP of Michigan, Winter Texan
Posts: 69,742
Liked 8019 Times on 5603 Posts


I use the same corker and the same size corks. I've found that #9 will work in the small 375 ml bottles, if need be, but #8 is better for those. Otherwise, I buy all good quality #9 1.75 inch corks.
__________________
Broken Leg Brewery
Giving beer a leg to stand on since 2006

 
Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2008, 09:15 PM   #4
arcsum68
Recipes 
 
Jun 2008
Posts: 76
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts


Funny, i was just going to ask about corkers, I had pretty much decided to get the floor corker but wondered if the Gilda single lever would be a viable option.
I am only going to be doing 30 at a time for now, but I dont want it to be a PITA.
__________________
Drinking now:
Bottled:

 
Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2008, 09:17 PM   #5
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png
 
Yooper's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Jun 2006
UP of Michigan, Winter Texan
Posts: 69,742
Liked 8019 Times on 5603 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by arcsum68 View Post
Funny, i was just going to ask about corkers, I had pretty much decided to get the floor corker but wondered if the Gilda single lever would be a viable option.
I am only going to be doing 30 at a time for now, but I dont want it to be a PITA.
I actually bought two other corkers before I bought the floor corker! The second was the Gilda, which looks good in principle but is harder than heck to squeeze. I still have it, and would consider selling it- but I don't want to make anyone go through what I did with it! I spent more on those corkers combined than the floor corker, and turned around and bought the floor corker anyway!
__________________
Broken Leg Brewery
Giving beer a leg to stand on since 2006

 
Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2008, 09:26 PM   #6
arcsum68
Recipes 
 
Jun 2008
Posts: 76
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by YooperBrew View Post
I actually bought two other corkers before I bought the floor corker! The second was the Gilda, which looks good in principle but is harder than heck to squeeze. I still have it, and would consider selling it- but I don't want to make anyone go through what I did with it! I spent more on those corkers combined than the floor corker, and turned around and bought the floor corker anyway!
That is exactly the answer I was looking for to justify my want/need for a floor corker, thanks!
__________________
Drinking now:
Bottled:

 
Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2008, 02:10 AM   #7
Donna
Recipes 
 
Sep 2008
Richmond, RI
Posts: 5

I have the Gilda corker and have no problem with it. I was told to boil a pot of water, turn it off and add corks for a couple of minutes to soften, they slide right in.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2008, 03:46 AM   #8
bluespook
 
bluespook's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Jun 2008
Lititz, PA
Posts: 97

Thanks everyone...just the info I needed.
__________________
Blue

It is what it is...a stress-relieving philosophy for a long life!

 
Reply With Quote
Reply
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
What size corks for belgian bottles? zac Bottling/Kegging 14 04-06-2011 10:50 AM
corks claphamsa Mead Forum 0 09-08-2009 01:44 PM
Which corks should I go with Liquisky Mead Forum 8 12-25-2008 05:16 AM
Corks? GABrewboy Winemaking Forum 10 04-17-2007 09:02 PM
Corks? Muntzster Bottling/Kegging 2 08-24-2006 03:58 PM


Forum Jump