Coldbreak Brewing Giveaway - Open to All!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Mead Forum > First Timer Question

Old 09-28-2008, 10:38 PM   #1
WriterWriter
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default First Timer Question

Hi folks,

I've been browsing the forums and just picked me up 2kg of honey from a farm.

If I were to get a bucket from a bakery/pastry shop, would it most likely not have a seal? I'm not a bucket expert and have no idea what differentiates a sealed bucket and non-sealed bucket.

But let's say it didn't. Then could I just follow a great recipe on here, put the contents into the bucket, then shove the whole thing under the stairs for two months? Is it that simple?

Thanks!
WW

Old 09-28-2008, 11:02 PM   #2
mibrewer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

I suppose you could do that, but it would be better if you purchased a bucket, lid and fermentation lock. Should run about $15 and for me that would be money well spent to help ensure the best outcome possible.

Old 09-29-2008, 12:44 AM   #3
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 5940 Times on 4235 Posts
Likes Given: 1516

The bucket doesn't have to have a lid while active fermentation is going on. But as soon as it slows down, you want the minimum amount of headspace possible. This usually means a carboy, since they have very small necks as to minimize the headspace. A bucket has WAY too much headspace, even when nearly full, since the bucket might be 10-15 inches across.

Follow me on facebook: https://www.facebook.com/lorena.t.evans
But I'm pretty boring so don't expect much!
https://www.facebook.com/lorena.t.evans

Old 09-29-2008, 11:04 AM   #4
summersolstice
Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 16 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by YooperBrew View Post
The bucket doesn't have to have a lid while active fermentation is going on. But as soon as it slows down, you want the minimum amount of headspace possible. This usually means a carboy, since they have very small necks as to minimize the headspace.
+2 I use a towel secured by a bungee cord to cover my primaries. After a week or so you need to move it into a carboy with an airlock and minimal headspace, as Yooper indicated.