Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Anyone have any experience souring a beer with yogurt culture?

Old 09-28-2008, 02:08 AM   #1
phissionkorps
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Anyone have any experience souring a beer with yogurt culture?

I read about this on a site or two, and it seems like a cheaper way to introduce the lactic bugs. For those of you in a part of the country with a significant Mexican population, you may be familiar with a "drink" stocked in the yogurt section called Bio-Salud. It's basically an oz of nonfat milk with active L. acidophilus, casei, bifidus, bulgaricus, and Streptococcus thermophilus. They are about 88 cents for 7 of them, and the bugs usually settle to the bottom. I think it'd be easy enough to make a starter out of them. I would assume the milk wouldn't cause a problem because of the eventual alcohol and acid content, and you could pour about 90% if not more of it off the bugs at the bottom. Another thing to think about is that they contain a small amount of sorbate, but I think it would be so small as to not affect a 5g batch. Any other reasons why this shouldn't work?

If its an ok idea, I think I'll attempt an Oud Bruin with it. I saw on another site someone had soured their mash with yogurt but only let it go 2 days before pitching yeast, and then the lactic character was only very very faint. I was thinking maybe pitching the bugs, waiting a week or two, then pitching the yeast and proceeding as normal. Can't do it the other way since high alcohol will kill off some of those bugs. Opinions?

EDIT: just found out L. delbrueckii ssp bulgaricus has a pH requirement, so I may have to let yeast go to work for a week or so before pitching bacteria. The other bugs like L. acidophilus have a pretty wide pH tolerance.

Old 09-29-2008, 07:22 AM   #2
phissionkorps
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Well since I haven't gotten any definitive "no's" I think I'll go ahead and give this a try. Either it works and I have an oud bruin, or it doesn't, and I have a decent session ale (shooting for 4.1%).

Am I correct in my thinking that when making sour beers, you need a separate set of equipment unless the equipment is glass, which can be reused? Or will I need a separate set regardless. If glass is ok but better bottles are not, can someone explain the actual science behind that? Both are porous, and AFAIK all the lactic bugs I plan on introducing are non-motile non spore forming species. Therefore, theoretically, cleaning with a bleach solution and letting it sit for a few weeks before a "normal" batch would be alright. I don't mind getting additional stuff, I'd just rather not if I didn't have to.

Old 09-30-2008, 02:15 AM   #3
BrianTheBrewer
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

sorry cant help ya here man...

"Good people drink good beer" - Hunter S. Thompson

http://brianthebrewer.blogspot.com
http://twitter.com/BrianTheBrewer
http://www.chugsd.com
http://www.quaff.org/

Old 09-30-2008, 02:22 AM   #4
Professor Frink

Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 15 Posts

I've done it twice for a sour mash. It worked pretty well.
On tap:Amber Ale
Milk Stout

Lagering:

http://www.lazydogbrewery.com

Old 09-30-2008, 03:53 AM   #5
phissionkorps
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
I've done it twice for a sour mash. It worked pretty well.
Awesome. I'll definitely be giving this a go then in the next couple of weeks. Anyone have any clue about the equipment question?

Old 09-30-2008, 02:27 PM   #6
Chriso
Broken Robot Brewing Co.
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 75 Times on 66 Posts
Likes Given: 132

Re: the equipment, the adage of a seperate set is - to my knowledge - primarily dealing with bugs like Brettanomyces or Pediococcus. I didn't see anything in your list that jumps out as dangerous of infecting your gear. If it does, an OxyClean soak would potentially fix it anyways. I *think* you should be fine, but I'm not 100% certain in my answer.

Chriso || BJCP Certified || SMaSH Brewers, Unite! || Nebraska Brewers! || Lincoln Lagers Brew Club
"You have just experienced the paradigm shift that is....all grain brewing." - BierMuncher

Old 10-24-2008, 11:26 PM   #7
phissionkorps
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Just snuck a taste of this. It's great! I let it sour with the lacto for 3 days then pitched the yeast. It ended up being just the right amount of sour. The nasty lacto blobs have mostly settled to the bottom as well.

In 2 weeks, I'll be taking this to a glass secondary I got off CL and introducing brett. I was originally going to split the batch, but after have my first few Orvals, I'll throw brett in the whole 5g.