Sour Apple Cider - Home Brew Forums

Register Now!
Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Cider Forum > Sour Apple Cider

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 09-27-2008, 11:47 PM   #1
ScottUV
Recipes 
 
Jul 2008
Posts: 29


So to follow up on the holiday cider I made is sour. I'm thinking it was the apple pie filling that I uses:


10 Cans Apple Juice Concentrate (5 gallons worth)
5 cinnamon sticks
6 cloves
2 oranges (zest only)
1 30oz can of easy pumpkin pie mix (pre-spiced pumpkin)
1 16oz can of apple pie mix
1/4 pound of honey
http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f32/holiday-cider-79539/
Since the thing is very sour... what should I do? Is there any way to salvage this? Aging? It's been two weeks and i just racked it yesterday and snagged a taste. It's not sour like it has an infection. I also tossed in two more cinnamon sticks and 2 more cloves because it isn't very aromatic. Any ideas?

 
Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2008, 12:06 AM   #2
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png
 
Yooper's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Jun 2006
UP of Michigan, Winter Texan
Posts: 69,231
Liked 7732 Times on 5426 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottUV View Post
So to follow up on the holiday cider I made is sour. I'm thinking it was the apple pie filling that I uses:


10 Cans Apple Juice Concentrate (5 gallons worth)
5 cinnamon sticks
6 cloves
2 oranges (zest only)
1 30oz can of easy pumpkin pie mix (pre-spiced pumpkin)
1 16oz can of apple pie mix
1/4 pound of honey
http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f32/holiday-cider-79539/
Since the thing is very sour... what should I do? Is there any way to salvage this? Aging? It's been two weeks and i just racked it yesterday and snagged a taste. It's not sour like it has an infection. I also tossed in two more cinnamon sticks and 2 more cloves because it isn't very aromatic. Any ideas?
Well, that sure is alot of cinnamon and cloves. I would do one or two cinnamon sticks total, but it's too late to take them out now!

As to sour, what happens when you take a sample out and sweeten it? You could do it with honey or sugar. If the sour taste goes away, it just means that the cider is too dry for your taste.
__________________
Broken Leg Brewery
Giving beer a leg to stand on since 2006

 
Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2008, 12:10 AM   #3
Brooklyn-Brewtality
Four Beasts Brewery
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
 
Brooklyn-Brewtality's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Aug 2008
Brooklyn
Posts: 2,278
Liked 24 Times on 19 Posts


is it sour, or are you just tasting the crazy bite that all that cloves would leave after only 2 weeks? that much cloves would take months to mellow down
__________________
Kegged: Berlinerweisse, Dubbel, Galaxy Wheat
Bottled: Golden Strong, Mild, IIPA, Rauch
Fermenting: Saison, Imperial Wheat Stout, Brett Saison, APA, Brett Roggenbier

 
Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2008, 01:00 AM   #4
ScottUV
Recipes 
 
Jul 2008
Posts: 29

No, it's definitely sour. It tastes like a lemon or warhead candy or something. I would think that there was a lot of spice but that was my goal. But when I took a sample while i was racking it, it was simply not "spiced," unless the sourness simply takes over the spices. It's not dry like a wine. Is there anything to neutralize the citric acid flavor? I'd rather not back-sweeten as I was going to try to give it out during the holidays. Thanks for the responses

 
Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2008, 01:01 AM   #5
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png
 
Yooper's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Jun 2006
UP of Michigan, Winter Texan
Posts: 69,231
Liked 7732 Times on 5426 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottUV View Post
No, it's definitely sour. It tastes like a lemon or warhead candy or something. I would think that there was a lot of spice but that was my goal. But when I took a sample while i was racking it, it was simply not "spiced," unless the sourness simply takes over the spices. It's not dry like a wine. Is there anything to neutralize the citric acid flavor? I'd rather not back-sweeten as I was going to try to give it out during the holidays. Thanks for the responses
The only thing I can think of to counteract sour is to sweeten. I don't quite understand why you don't want to sweeten it, but that's the only thing that occurs to me to help it.
__________________
Broken Leg Brewery
Giving beer a leg to stand on since 2006

 
Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2008, 05:38 AM   #6
Melana
Up to no good....
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
 
Melana's Avatar
Recipes 
 
May 2007
Norfolk, MA
Posts: 8,276
Liked 2481 Times on 1360 Posts


I'm with Yooper... you might have to back sweeten.
Since it is so young try aging it for a few more weeks and see how it is with more time...

 
Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2008, 08:08 AM   #7
ScottUV
Recipes 
 
Jul 2008
Posts: 29

I didn't mean I don't want to sweeten it, I only mean that I'd rather find a better solution is all. I'd rather try to combat it directly by adding sodium bicarbonate or something. I'm hoping to not just mask the flavor with splenda or something. I appreciate all your help. I'm going to let it age.. hopefully it turns out well! Thanks

 
Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2008, 02:22 PM   #8
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png
 
Yooper's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Jun 2006
UP of Michigan, Winter Texan
Posts: 69,231
Liked 7732 Times on 5426 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottUV View Post
I didn't mean I don't want to sweeten it, I only mean that I'd rather find a better solution is all. I'd rather try to combat it directly by adding sodium bicarbonate or something. I'm hoping to not just mask the flavor with splenda or something. I appreciate all your help. I'm going to let it age.. hopefully it turns out well! Thanks
Well, to me it's more "natural" to sweeten it with honey or sugar than to add bicarb to it. Of course, it's entirely up to you.

Aging will help it mellow out, but won't make it less tart.
__________________
Broken Leg Brewery
Giving beer a leg to stand on since 2006

 
Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2008, 02:50 PM   #9
Arneba28
 
Arneba28's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Feb 2008
Amherst, Western New York
Posts: 2,193
Liked 17 Times on 12 Posts


This is a monster SG isnt it. The apple juice was made to the juice recipe or was it diluted. If it was made to order, then had the apple pie filling and the pumpkin pie filling( the pre spiced one which also has added sugar) Then this thing must be hot.
I am thinking that all this sourness is a combination or super cloves, really hot young alcohol, unspiced pumpkin( made my beer taste sour) and the apple pie filling.

Let it age for a while then try it . But if you wanted this for this holiday you started a little to late. You can always back sweeten(yes thats your best option as all the others have said) right before you bottle
__________________
My Kegerator Project

 
Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2008, 03:06 PM   #10
Pogo
Recipes 
 
Jun 2008
Posts: 344
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts


What is the OG and the FG of this concoction, and how long did the primary fermentation last before you racked it?

Pogo

 
Reply With Quote
Reply
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Apple juice vs apple cider... gratus fermentatio Cider Forum 35 01-18-2014 02:09 AM
Apple Juice? or Apple Cider? jjmeldrum Cider Forum 12 12-06-2011 09:03 PM
Cider with Apple/Crab Apple Mix? CBRent Cider Forum 9 03-02-2011 08:02 PM
Apple Juice vs. Apple Cider DontDrinkAndDrum Cider Forum 5 11-16-2007 03:10 AM
sour apple Johannes General Techniques 1 06-19-2006 03:01 PM


Forum Jump