What are you using for fermentation control of multiple batches? - Home Brew Forums
Register Now For Free!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > What are you using for fermentation control of multiple batches?

Old 09-27-2008, 09:53 PM   #1
Jimbob

Recipes 

Oct 2007
Austin, Tx

So I wanted to find out what you guys have in terms of fermentation control, lagering, and storing equipment. Right now I have a chest freezer with a temp controller on it that will only hold one carboy. So if I decide to lager I've tied up my fermentation control for a while. What you do you guys have that allows you to brew more often?

Old 09-27-2008, 10:37 PM   #2
eschatz

Recipes 

Dec 2007
Terre Haute, IN
Liked 35 Times on 19 Posts

well for ales I use the wet t-shirt in a tub of water with a fan on it. it keeps my ales at about 67* without the fan. 61* with the fan.

What's tappening? :D

Old 09-28-2008, 02:13 AM   #3
korndog

Recipes 

Nov 2007
westlake village, ca
Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbob View Post
So I wanted to find out what you guys have in terms of fermentation control, lagering, and storing equipment. Right now I have a chest freezer with a temp controller on it that will only hold one carboy. So if I decide to lager I've tied up my fermentation control for a while. What you do you guys have that allows you to brew more often?
More freezers. Three freezers should do it. One for ale fermenting and conditoning. One for lagering, and one for lager fermentation and cold storage. Oh yeah; lots of swag for SWMBO too.

Twitter: LarryKonis

Old 09-28-2008, 02:24 AM   #4
Mirilis
Lvl 10 Beer Nerd
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Feb 2008
Greenville, Ohio
Liked 125 Times on 88 Posts

Luckily for me SWMBO keeps the house set at 65 with the AC so i just ferment on my dining room floor.

Old 09-28-2008, 02:25 AM   #5
B-Dub
Recipes 

Sep 2007
Central Coast
Liked 9 Times on 7 Posts

1 fridge for fermenting with a heating pad and duel stage controller, 1 for lagering and some kind of device for storing multiple kegs and serving out of.

Be nice to your wife. You can be right or you can be happy. Don't worry, have a homebrew and Be happy!

Old 09-28-2008, 03:53 AM   #6
BrewBrain
Aleforger

Recipes 

Aug 2007
San Jose, CA
Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts

I have a 3-bucket temp-controlled freezer, so I can ferment three beers at a time, so long as they use the same temperature.

I have a keezer with room for a bucket or carboy if I ever decide I want to do a lager, which I have little desire to do at this point.

I have a refrigerator next to the freezers that I'm currently using to crash cool a beer that was a week ahead of the other two in the fermenting freezer.

I have an awesome SWMBO

QUICKSILVER HOME BREWERY

Old 10-01-2008, 03:20 AM   #7
DrinksWellWithOthers

Recipes 

May 2008
MA
Liked 27 Times on 25 Posts

Off topic.. hey Brewbrain, is your avatar the trash heap from fraggle rock?

Old 10-01-2008, 04:10 AM   #8
BrewBrain
Aleforger

Recipes 

Aug 2007
San Jose, CA
Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinksWellWithOthers View Post
Off topic.. hey Brewbrain, is your avatar the trash heap from fraggle rock?
It is. I've had a few people pm me saying it was driving them nuts trying to remember where they'd seen that thing

QUICKSILVER HOME BREWERY

Old 10-01-2008, 04:25 AM   #9
bradsul
Flyfisherman/brewer

Recipes 

Sep 2006
Ontario, Canada
Liked 32 Times on 25 Posts

I made a son of fermentation chiller that is large enough for 2 primaries. When I secondary I do it at room temperature if I need the chiller for primaries.

Projects: Sylvania Kegerator Conversion, Tower Cooling, Grain Milling Station

Old 10-01-2008, 04:47 AM   #10
DrinksWellWithOthers

Recipes 

May 2008
MA
Liked 27 Times on 25 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrewBrain View Post
It is. I've had a few people pm me saying it was driving them nuts trying to remember where they'd seen that thing
I knew who it was as soon as I saw it. I knew my love for Fraggle Rock as a child would pay off someday.