I started a 5 gallon batch of plum wine this week with 36# of wild plums, 8# of sugar, acid blend, pot met, etc. in a 6 1/2 gallon Ale Pail. I had fast fermentation after 24 hours, and extremely fast fermentation after 48. When I was punching down the cap after 48 hours and mashing it up with a drywall mixer, I joked to myself that I was going to need a blow-off tube by the time this was done. I came back in 1/2 hour to see wine all over the place, blowing right out of the airlock! I probably had 12 oz. of wine on the table, floor, and lid. I rigged up a blow-off tube with a 3 piece airlock, poured a homebrew, and watched. I watched a piece of plum plug the bung, the bucket swell, and foam blow out the sides of the lid. The next morning, I found the blow-off assembly blown off of the lid. Things have calmed down a bit now, and I am back to an airlock, but this has been a mess!!!! It sure smells good, though.....
On Deck: Yo Mama!
Primary: Oatmeal Stout, 219 APA
Keggerator:Apfelwine, Honey Blonde
Secondary- Simply Strawberry (5 gal), Strawberry-Rhubarb (2 gal),Plum (5 gal)