Originally Posted by tbone
After hanging around in the lower 70% range, I brewed Thursday at 84%. The only thing that I did differently was that I put the grain through my mill twice. Mayabe I need to adjust the settings.
I remember reading this post, and it just so happens the same thing happened to me.
I use a mill at my LHBS store, because they let you crush for free. I have consistently gotten around 75-77% efficiency with bobby_m's double batch sparge method. I was happy with it, consistency is more important than a high efficiency. Anyway, I milled some grain on friday and noticed it was a much better crush with way more flour.
I just put the #'s in and I got 88% into the boiler (82% brewhouse).
I attribute this 100% to the mill being adjusted. I always milled the grain twice with the way it used to be, and this time I couldn't because it was too
Just reinforcing that Crush is most likely the cause to efficiency woes