15 year old beer: Safe to drink? - Home Brew Forums
Register Now For Free!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > 15 year old beer: Safe to drink?

Old 09-26-2008, 03:33 AM   #1
ascbrew
Recipes 

Dec 2007
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

My father has several cases of homebrew he made back in the 90's. He threw it in the cellar (very cool temps) and its been there since. I am about to use the bottles, but I was wondering if i could enjoy 1 without the fears of becoming sick. I think one was a Pilsner and Im not sure on the other ones.

Is it safe to drink?

Old 09-26-2008, 03:36 AM   #2
BarleyWater

Recipes 

Jan 2007
Armpit of Dallas (Irving), TX
Liked 23 Times on 17 Posts

Hells ya it's safe! Drink that **** up man!

Seriously though, there won't be anything wrong with it, except it may not taste too good anymore. Usually, the lighter the beer, the less stable it is, so the pilsner may be not so tasty. If he has any old imperial stouts laying around though, they may be pretty delicious now.

Fermenting: Nada
On Tap:Cran Wit, Dr Pepper Dubbel, Cascadian Pale Ale, Dark Chocolate Stout, Imperial Stout, Brown Mild, Schwarzbier
On Board: IIPA

www.franconiabrewing.com

Old 09-26-2008, 03:45 AM   #3
BigKahuna
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Feb 2008
Eastern Colorado
Liked 52 Times on 45 Posts

Hells Ya It's Safe! Drink that **** up man!

Oh...Sorry....Didn't mean to copy...but that is exactly what I thought when I saw the headline.

Post back your notes.

Old 09-26-2008, 03:52 AM   #4
discgolfin
Recipes 

Jul 2007
Chicago, Il.
Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

15 years?? wow..... give them a try..If it is a pilsner or light beer in will probably taste like crap but hey u never know...too bad it isn't a big barley
wine...

Jay

Drinking: 60 minute IPA, Honkers Ale, Wheat, cherry wheat, Appfelwine,

On Deck: Imperial Stout,

Old 09-26-2008, 03:53 AM   #5
mysteryberto

Recipes 

Apr 2008
Oregon
Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts

I've seen a lot of these threads end with the OP not posting the results. I'm curious to how they taste.

Old 09-26-2008, 04:00 AM   #6
ascbrew
Recipes 

Dec 2007
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

i tried a taste of the "Pilsner" and it seemed ok. It reminded me of Yeungling in taste. Nothing really bad, nothing to write home about. Maybe I should drink a full bottle?

Old 09-26-2008, 04:06 AM   #7
eulipion2
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Sep 2006
Hawley, PA
Liked 88 Times on 67 Posts

Two stories of aged beer: 1.) a coworker of one of my homebrew club's members found a few bottles of 60-year-old beer. The labels were mostly worn off, the caps a little rusty. We cracked them open at a meeting. Mixed reviews, mostly negative, but nobody got sick from it, so no foul.

2.) another member of my homebrew club brewed in essence a triple bock 20 years ago, before Samuel Adams had their version. He still had some so he entered it in a competition this past spring, not giving any indication of its age. One of the judges wrote on his score sheet that "this beer could stand to be cellared a little more."

People Like This 
Old 09-26-2008, 04:59 AM   #8
Kilgore_Trout
Recipes 

Sep 2008
Iowa

Quote:
Originally Posted by eulipion2 View Post
One of the judges wrote on his score sheet that "this beer could stand to be cellared a little more."

That's why it's important not to let judges get to you (in any arena, not just homebrew). Anyone who's been judged repeatedly has had this feeling before... "wtf is he talking about? I did the opposite of that".

Old 09-26-2008, 02:08 PM   #9
Ecnerwal
Recipes 

Sep 2008
Williamstown, MA
Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

If it doesn't obviously taste/smell bad, if won't make you sick (other than the hangover you'll get if you drink to many, regardless of how old/young they are).

So drink it up, unless it's wretched, which it sounds like it's not, but you're being overly cautious if you haven't even had an entire beer, even though it tastes like Yuengling, sorta.

Old 09-26-2008, 04:06 PM   #10
BlindLemonLars
Recipes 

May 2007
Liked 27 Times on 25 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ascbrew View Post
i tried a taste of the "Pilsner" and it seemed ok. It reminded me of Yeungling in taste. Nothing really bad, nothing to write home about. Maybe I should drink a full bottle?
Absolutely! If it's enjoyable, drink it up. I certainly wouldn't toss it just to get at the bottles.