Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > Priming sugar vs carb drops....

Old 09-23-2008, 08:56 PM   #1
GraniteRiverBrewing
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Priming sugar vs carb drops....

I'm about ready to bottle an Apfelwein. I've been kegging for awhile and have not bottled much.. I was wondering which way is better? Boiling up some priming sugar or using the carb drops. I've never used the drops. Is one better than the other??

Old 09-23-2008, 10:37 PM   #2
STAD
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I haven't used the drops either, but most people on here do not like them. I think it's a matter of preference.

Up next: Peanut Butter Porter

Old 09-23-2008, 10:43 PM   #3
BlindLemonLars
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 24 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 32

For a whole batch, go with corn sugar. Simple, cheap, effective and highly predictable.

If I'm just bottling a six-pack or two, I'll go with carb drops. I like the Coopers, one "lozenge" per 12oz bottle. They work great, and completely vanish within a week. I've heard complaints that the Munton's drops leave little bits and pieces of solid matter in the bottle

Old 09-23-2008, 11:12 PM   #4
GraniteRiverBrewing
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlindLemonLars View Post
For a whole batch, go with corn sugar. Simple, cheap, effective and highly predictable.

If I'm just bottling a six-pack or two, I'll go with carb drops. I like the Coopers, one "lozenge" per 12oz bottle. They work great, and completely vanish within a week. I've heard complaints that the Munton's drops leave little bits and pieces of solid matter in the bottle
Yeah, I figured as much..I've bottled alot before I started kegging. I used
priming sugar and it seemed to be fine..Sometimes my bottles were alittle uneven, interms of carbonation. Using the drops sounded alittle easier. I guess I'll stick with priming. Thanks for the reply.Cheers...

Old 09-23-2008, 11:31 PM   #5
bsay
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

You say you keg? Check out the "We don't need no stinking beer gun" post at the top of this forum.

100x easier than priming sugar IMHO.

Who says you can't brew all-grain indoors?
Brewing 2.5 gal batches with a 2gal cooler MLT in my cramped apartment. Pictures coming soon!

Ask me about my Keezer/2.5 gal brew setup!