American IPA My 2-time gold winning American IPA - Page 33 - Home Brew Forums

Register Now!
Home Brew Forums > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Homebrew Ale Recipes > American IPA My 2-time gold winning American IPA

Old 09-12-2013, 10:49 AM   #321
pmcint01
Recipes 

May 2013
Liked 14 Times on 13 Posts

Damn, that looks good I might have to try this.

Old 09-23-2013, 07:35 PM   #322
OCHawgy
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Mar 2013
Layton, UT - Utah
Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Bottling this batch today. Secondary went well with a constant 69 degrees. I ended up doing the hops a little differently because the % AA was higher on all the hops I got. The final IBUs following the schedule to the T would have been ridiculous. Unfortunately I didn't plug the AAs into a calculator until I was already boiling... I calculated my IBUs to be around 87! While it might be a little more bitter than I was expecting, thanks to high AAs, I can't wait to try it in a few weeks.
It's a brewing life for me.

Old 09-23-2013, 07:43 PM   #323
enohcs
Recipes 

Jan 2008
Washington, DC
Liked 31 Times on 10 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by OCHawgy View Post
Bottling this batch today. Secondary went well with a constant 69 degrees. I ended up doing the hops a little differently because the % AA was higher on all the hops I got. The final IBUs following the schedule to the T would have been ridiculous. Unfortunately I didn't plug the AAs into a calculator until I was already boiling... I calculated my IBUs to be around 87! While it might be a little more bitter than I was expecting, thanks to high AAs, I can't wait to try it in a few weeks.
I see no problems here

Old 09-25-2013, 03:19 AM   #324
OCHawgy

Recipes 

Mar 2013
Layton, UT - Utah
Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by enohcs View Post
I see no problems here
=) Thanks.

Ended up bottling tonight rather than last night. I called it quits after racking a lager into a keg...

Here are my other numbers for this brew.
OG: 1.066
FG: 1.011
ABV: 7.2%
IBU: ?? (I calculated 87 after the boil, but now I plug everything in again and get 100)
SRM: 7
Primed w/ corn sugar, dissolved in 1.75 cups of boiled water, for 2.4 vols of CO2.

As long as it tastes good, I'll be happy. Might be a little bitter and not for the faint of heart, but at least its not like my 90 min IPA that has 9.2% ABV. So I have the IBUs of an IIPA, and the color/abv of an American. Should be interesting.... I will post a picture of the first class and let those of you interested know how it turned out. I dry hopped more than the recipe called for too. Rising hophead here...

Happy Oktoberfest
It's a brewing life for me.

Old 10-20-2013, 03:31 AM   #325
sk888smooth
Recipes 

Dec 2012
Elgin, IL
Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

I brewed up this recipe and last month and am half way through my keg right now. This beer is the best IPA I have brewed, close to the best beer I have brewed to date. Delicious and so perfectly balanced between malt and delicious hops.

Strong work! Now time to finish off this mug mmmm!
Next on Deck: Gumball Head Clone

Old 10-29-2013, 09:01 PM   #326
Jensas
Recipes 

Sep 2011

Hi! Noob question! I can read everywhere about the diferent hops and gravities everyone is getting. But I am a beginner with beersmith and cant figure out how to set up this beer without knowing how many liters of waterbit is intended for. What can I do to copy it without knowing that?

Old 10-31-2013, 11:34 AM   #327
Jensas
Recipes 

Sep 2011

No one here to give me a hint

Old 10-31-2013, 11:46 AM   #328
govner1
Kept Man!
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Jan 2012
Atlanta, GA
Liked 387 Times on 326 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jensas
Hi! Noob question! I can read everywhere about the diferent hops and gravities everyone is getting. But I am a beginner with beersmith and cant figure out how to set up this beer without knowing how many liters of waterbit is intended for. What can I do to copy it without knowing that?
If you follow the tutorial and set up your equipment Beersmith will calculate your water volumes. You'll need to know the boil off rate for your BK. You can determine this by boiling water for a hour.

Old 10-31-2013, 12:59 PM   #329
mtnagel
Recipes 

Apr 2012
Cincinnati, Ohio
Liked 224 Times on 181 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jensas View Post
No one here to give me a hint
I just didn't know what, "waterbit" was

Old 10-31-2013, 03:40 PM   #330
Jensas
Recipes 

Sep 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnagel View Post
I just didn't know what, "waterbit" was
Yeah, waterbit.. sorry auto spell thing in the phone. Should be "water it"

So if I have my equipment profile set to, lets say BIAB 70l and then enter this recipie. It gets kinda low on IBU and OG since there is to much water. Or is there a nother way I am missing?
Sure It calculates it exact for when its tine to brew, but is the recipie for a 5gallon or a 10gallon batch? Dont I need to know that?