Help identifying a bug on hops. - Home Brew Forums
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Hops Growing > Help identifying a bug on hops.

Old 09-22-2008, 05:44 PM   #1
GilaMinumBeer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Jan 2008
Liked 7304 Times on 6020 Posts

I don't have any pictures and I have tried searching the webs, even the "what's that bug" site (but it keeps hanging up).

This bug is about the size of a ladybug but is mostly black with some orange coloring on the fringes. Most notable is that it produces a colony of white eggsacs grouped in a tight formation similar to a type of coral but, pure white. These egg formations are always found on the underside of the leaves.

Any ideas?

Old 09-22-2008, 06:11 PM   #2
EvilTOJ

Recipes 

Dec 2005
Portland, OR, Oregon
Liked 50 Times on 35 Posts

A picture would help out a lot, otherwise I have no idea.

Old 09-22-2008, 06:39 PM   #3
bsay
Recipes 

Jul 2008
Fort Collins
Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

If you post a picture, I'm sure I'll be able to ID it for you (Top and underside if possible, as high of resolution as you can). Let me ask you a few questions though:
1. You say lady-bug like, so the outer wings form a hard shell-like casing when closed with a slit (where they separate) down the middle? (basically, is it's body-shape the same as a lady bug?)
2. How similar is its head to a ladybug?
3. What else distinguishes it from a ladybug?

That's all for now...

Who says you can't brew all-grain indoors?
Brewing 2.5 gal batches with a 2gal cooler MLT in my cramped apartment. Pictures coming soon!

Ask me about my Keezer/2.5 gal brew setup!

Old 09-22-2008, 07:00 PM   #4
GilaMinumBeer

Recipes 

Jan 2008

Unfortunately no picture is possible this year. The plants are already gone post harvest.

the only thing my eye could distinuguish as different from the lady-bug is the color. Otherwise it looked like an asian beetle or lady bug. I have done some image searches but haven't found anything similar to what I have described.

Most notable is the egg sac formations. I have yet to see anything like it.

Clusters of possibly 12 to 20 individual white "eggs" with the tops open. Sort of like a coral or sponge. All found on teh underside of the leaves.

Sorry about the lack of images as I do undesrtand that would be a big help here. I guess I was hoping that someone has seen these before and could elude as to what they are. I don;t suspect that they are pests but, would like to know for sure.

Old 09-22-2008, 07:43 PM   #5
bsay
Recipes 

Jul 2008
Fort Collins
Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Thanks for the added information. I'm guessing that the bug in question is in fact a beetle from the family Coccinellids. Relax (not worrying and having a homebrew optional), because most coccinellids are beneficial, as they feed on aphids which are bad for hops.

Do they look anything like this?:

That would be the Exochomus quadripustulatus, which feeds on scale insects which are likely trying to eat your hops!

(Special thanks to Google and Wikipedia, I'm not much of a biologist, I just took an insect class about a year ago)

Brewing 2.5 gal batches with a 2gal cooler MLT in my cramped apartment. Pictures coming soon!

Old 09-22-2008, 08:01 PM   #6
GilaMinumBeer

Recipes 

Jan 2008

That's it!

Wow. You are good. Spect' you got an "A" in that class.

Old 09-25-2008, 12:36 AM   #7
bsay
Recipes 

Jul 2008
Fort Collins
Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Actually, I barely pulled a C, but on the lab I got 149% (the lab was all about IDing insects and stuff like that, I got ALL of the extra credit points correct!)