I like to stir things. Stir 'em up. Yes I do. - Home Brew Forums

Register Now!
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > I like to stir things. Stir 'em up. Yes I do.

Old 09-22-2008, 04:36 AM   #1
Aug 2008

My third batch, an American Pale Ale. Pitched my yeast (Windsor) into the fermenting pail.

Said to myself:

Self, I bet if you stirred the yeast after pitching it will disperse more evenly and it'll ferment more completely and faster!

So I stuck my sanitized spoon in and gave it a a good stir.

As I was doing this the words "TOP FERMENTING YEAST" rolled across my brain like a herd of buffalo.

The beers been in the fermenter for about 2 hours. Should I re-pitch or wait and see what happens. I already know everyone's going to say wait, but I'm feeling anxious.

Old 09-22-2008, 04:39 AM   #2
I love making Beer
Jul 2007
Omaha, NE
Liked 30 Times on 26 Posts

Don't feel anxious. Mixing the yeast in your wort is fine. The yeast knows it's job and will find the sugar just fine.
Batch 1 Brewing
The American Revolution would never have happened with gun control.

Old 09-22-2008, 04:43 AM   #3
Sep 2008
Seattle, WA

Well, I'm new to this brewing stuff, but I usually not only stir in the yeast, but shake the whole dang fermenter. Supposedly, it helps aerate the wort, which I've heard is a good thing. So far, my beers have turned out fine. From what I've read, the usual instructions of sprinkling yeast on top of the wort is not the best way to go. It should be mixed in. I wait to be corrected though.

Old 09-22-2008, 04:46 AM   #4
Jan 2007
Lac du Bonnet, Manitoba
Liked 46 Times on 37 Posts

Nurmey knows what she's talking about. The yeast are going to permeate your entire batch very shortly.
If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem.

Old 09-22-2008, 05:18 AM   #5
Jan 2007
Armpit of Dallas (Irving), TX
Liked 23 Times on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by s3kt0r View Post
I usually not only stir in the yeast, but shake the whole dang fermenter. Supposedly, it helps aerate the wort, which I've heard is a good thing.
It's actually a pretty necessary thing if you want healthy yeast.

They are "top fermenting", because while working, they will flocculate much easier than lager yeast, and since they work faster than lager yeast as well, the extra warmth + extra CO2 formation + bigger yeast clumps = the yeast rising to the top during fermentation, then it all falls to the bottom afterwards. All yeasts, lager or ale, actually make the beer while in suspension, flying around inside the fermenter.

Fermenting: Nada
On Tap:Cran Wit, Dr Pepper Dubbel, Cascadian Pale Ale, Dark Chocolate Stout, Imperial Stout, Brown Mild, Schwarzbier
On Board: IIPA

Old 09-22-2008, 03:55 PM   #6
Jazz Hands!
Feb 2008
Liked 4172 Times on 3887 Posts

No worries. I dry pitch my yeast into the carboy and then shake the heck out of the whole batch to aerate my wort.

Now just let those yeast do the nasty in private and don't bug them for two or three weeks.
Black Phantom Brewing Company

Old 09-22-2008, 03:59 PM   #7
Feb 2008
Eastern Colorado
Liked 52 Times on 45 Posts

Did you really just ask if you should re-pitch after 2 hours?

Your yeast will find their way despite your actions. It's always a good idea to give your beer that one last stir before setting it aside for a few weeks to do what it does (IMO).

Relax...Don't Worry....You Kow how it goes!

Seriously. I'm here for BEER
It's Not The Size Of Your Rig That Counts....It's How Often You Use It.

Old 09-22-2008, 05:39 PM   #8
Jan 2007
St. Louis
Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Definitly take a chill and let those yeast work. It might take awhile, up to a couple days to start.
I always shake my carboy to aerate.

Old 09-22-2008, 05:53 PM   #9
Dec 2007
Oconomowoc, Wisconsin
Liked 148 Times on 120 Posts

Your beer is ruined! Send it to Evan! for disposal!

{OP- I'm joking}