OK-so I put together the ingredients of my brewhouse kit with some modifications. Rather than roasting the pecans, I boiled 12oz for 40 minutes in ~ 3 quarts of water. I realized that it was getting pretty bitter at the 40 minute mark so I cut it off an siphoned the pecan water out and then boiled ~15oz light brown sugar in the pecan water. I cooled that down to ~70 and pitched that in with my yeast. I should say that the pecan water didn't taste bad and it did have a pecan flavor- my hope is that I won't loose it in the primary or secondary.
The yeast that I used was the Wyeast 3056 (Bavarian Ale type). I smacked the pack ~8 hours prior to pitching maybe let it get too warm although the pack swelled like a balloon.
Once I combined the Ph balancer, pecan water, 4 liters of mountain spring water, 15liters Red Ale wert and yeast it took about 15 hours before I saw active air lock activity. Though it should be noted that I use a 7.5 gallon fermentor- so a volcanic fermentation shouldn't be expected.
I think I did a good job on the sanitization part, other than a few incidents that maybe contact time with Star-San wasn't long enough- nothing that I hadn't done before.
Now I'm not sure what exactly I created - the smell out of the air lock doesn't smell like anything that I want to drink.
So, I'm thinking of racking to a secondary in the next few days since I haven't seen anything bubble in the air lock. My hope is that I'll be able to salvalge it- I won't pass judgement yet on what I have - but I'll keep ya'll posted as to what I come up with!