Originally Posted by fratermus
Let us know how it goes!
I can't belive I didn't discover home brewing sooner in life! First batch brewed yesterday (brewer's red ale from TheHomeBrewery.com) and it was a blast!
I can see now that I have some techniques to work on like cooling the wort a little faster but, overall, I LOVE BREWING!!
As far as using Iodophor: I ended up filling the bottling bucket about half way (3 gallons...) which was enough to completely cover airlock/cork, tubing, hydrometer, etc. while my water was heating up. I just left things in there until needed and pulled it out and used it. If something needed to be re-sanitized I just dropped it back into the bucket and left it until needed again.
For my ferm. bucket, I layed it on it's side and propped it at a small angle so that I would not have to mix 6.5 full gallons of solution. (I'll take pictures of the wood-block I used to prop it so it would not roll on its own. It needs a "V" shaped wedge cut in it to work right.) Then I just rotated the bucket a few degrees every couple of minutes so that all surfaces were sanatized and kept doing that during the boil until needed...think rotisserie.
It may not be the best solution but I can tell you this...my air-lock is bubbling like CRAZY so it can't be all bad. I could probably use the spray-bottle trick and use less Iodophor on certain things...but I am pleased so far. I have to wait until the whole thing is done to report on the final results but I understand a bubbling airlock is a good sign!