Home Brew Forums > Home Brew Market > Sampling and Critiquing and Beer Swapping > olllllo's Hatch Cream

Old 09-19-2008, 08:09 PM   #1
Ryanh1801
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 9 Posts

Default olllllo's Hatch Cream

ollllo was nice enough to send me a bottle his Hatch cream for review. All he told me was to keep an open mind.

Aperance. - very pale with some haze, nice white fluffy head, carbonation looks spot on.

Aroma- Oh man, I can smell this thing just pouring it. First thing that hits your nose is a slight smell of malt, then bam!!! peppers Reminds me a lot of a chili pepper.

Taste- Ok here we go. First taste that hits me is the flavor of a kollsh or similar beer. Peppers are defiantly their, nothing to over powering. It kind of gives a roasted pepper flavor. Nicely done, only thing I might would have changed was to have a little more malt background, but I have never had a beer like this before so I don't if something like that would even work.

Overall- Very interesting beer. I have had some unusual beers, and this one is one I am glade I got the chance to try. I think this one would be interesting with a spicy yeast, like a saison strain or something, just to give it a little more flavor to compete with the peppers.

Damn now I wish I had some Jalapenos to grill.

Thanks ollllo, this beer is tasting great right now, while I am outside brewing.

Old 09-19-2008, 08:40 PM   #2
Ryanh1801

Recipes 

Haha, should have read the label. Roasted hatch pepper.

BTW was this carbed on nitro ?

Old 09-19-2008, 08:52 PM   #3
olllllo
[]-O-[]
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 138 Times on 112 Posts
Likes Given: 13

It was carbed on co2. It's brother is on nitro. I think you're picking up the body in the base beer. Hatch chiles can have some burn but have a more layered flavor. I agree that a saison would be another base beer worth looking into. Glad you like it.
Ginger Beer for Moscow Mules Bacon Vodka
Twitter

Old 09-19-2008, 09:00 PM   #4
Ryanh1801

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by olllllo View Post
It was carbed on co2. It's brother is on nitro. I think you're picking up the body in the base beer. Hatch chiles can have some burn but have a more layered flavor. I agree that a saison would be another base beer worth looking into. Glad you like it.
the second pour just had this crazy bubble thing going on, that I always associate with nitro. carbed beers. Could you post up how you prepared the peppers, and how much for a 5 gallon batch.

Old 09-19-2008, 10:07 PM   #5
olllllo
[]-O-[]
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 138 Times on 112 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Certainly.
I should state at the beginning that this is based on a technique as told to me by our own Brewpastor who has a gold medal from the GABF. I say based upon, only because I might have done something different because I mis-remembered what he said. If I get it wrong, perhaps he will tell us.

I used 7 or 8 whole hatch chiles and roasted them on an open flame until the skins were either blackened or peeling away from the chile. I promptly placed them in a paper bag and let them cool. This is a somewhat standard way of roasting chiles in the SW.

I then froze the chiles to break the cell walls down, like you would for fruit.

I stuffed the chiles whole- stems, skin and all -into the 2ndary fermenter for about 10 days. I understand that there are those that macerate the chiles, but I chose not to. I wanted more roasted and fresh chile flavor than I did heat. The seeds and the inner white membrane will give you the heat.
Ginger Beer for Moscow Mules Bacon Vodka
Twitter

Old 09-19-2008, 10:14 PM   #6
McKBrew

Recipes 

Liked 34 Times on 30 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Damn, sounds interesting. Someday when I am ahead in production and a bit more experimentive (probably not a real word) I'll have to try a pepper beer.