Coldbreak Brewing HERMS Giveaway!

HomeBrewSupply AMCYL Brew Kettle Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > question about pumpkin ale

Old 09-19-2008, 02:59 AM   #1
JamesJ
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default question about pumpkin ale

I have my pumpkin ale in my primary and it's been 3 weeks. How important is it to rack to a secondary? I was wondering if I could get by just bottling it up after another week but I know pumpkin ale has quite a bit of trub. Anyone skip the secondary for a pumpkin ale? Thanks!

Old 09-19-2008, 03:05 AM   #2
Edcculus
Recipes 

Liked 43 Times on 40 Posts

It really depends on how clear you want it. Another week in the primary and you should be fine to bottle. If you want to get it a little clearer, rack to a secondary.

Old 09-19-2008, 03:20 AM   #3
JamesJ
Recipes 

I guess I'm not that concerned about it clearing up but I do want it to taste good. I was trying to avoid the secondary as well to maybe cut back on more beer loss due to more trub in the secondary. Thoughts?

Old 09-19-2008, 11:31 AM   #4
jcdillin
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I actually have a pumpkin in the primary as well, i'm not going to rack to secondary. I was only planning on 3 weeks though in the primary before bottling. I don't think the slight increase in clarity is worth losing a few bottles of beer.

Old 09-19-2008, 02:15 PM   #5
Edcculus
Recipes 

Liked 43 Times on 40 Posts

I agree. A good idea would be to crash cool it a day before bottling. Get a big plastic tub and fill it with ice water. Put the carboy into the cold water. Since its such a short time, you dont need to worry about maintaining the cold temp. This crash cool will help precipitate out a lot of gunk and compact the trub layer a bit too.

Old 09-19-2008, 02:33 PM   #6
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2873 Times on 1699 Posts
Likes Given: 3511

I'm going for 1 month in primaries and a crash cool before bottling for my partigyle pumpkin ale...Since it's two 2.5 gallon batches, I want to reduce as much trub loss as possible.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 09-19-2008, 02:46 PM   #7
Boerderij_Kabouter

Recipes 

Liked 135 Times on 110 Posts
Likes Given: 11

My experience has been racking a pumpkin beer is a good idea. At least my pumpkin beers have had a lot of material in the trub that was not your run of the mill yeast, break material, hops, and whatnot trub. I would not want bio material like pumpkin in my beers as I don't think that would age well at all. I know the trend is for primary only fermentation lately, but with fruit beers and spiced beers I really think a secondary is in order. I also think the aging should be done in the secondary carboy to allow for bulk aging. I believe this gives a better flavor profile to beers such as this. Just my .02, take it or leave it.