Chile Pepper Beer???? - Home Brew Forums
Register Now For Free!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Chile Pepper Beer????

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 09-18-2008, 02:32 AM   #1
reelseasick
Recipes 
 
Feb 2007
NJ
Posts: 62


How do I do it? dry hop the peppers? does the flavor hit right away when you drink? what hops goes nice with that and can I get the hops flavor to hit before or after the chili flavor (not at the same time)?
__________________
"I don't drink as much as I should"

 
Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2008, 08:12 AM   #2
HarvInSTL
 
HarvInSTL's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Apr 2007
Saint Louis, MO
Posts: 709
Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts


What type of beer are you thinking of making?

Depending on the beer style would/should dictate what type of pepper(s) you use and how much.

As an example I made a smoked habanero imperial porter and I used 3 habanero's soaked in rum (to help sanitize them) and let them soak in the secondary for 6 weeks.

Way too much and way too long!

I'd stick with putting them in the secondary (dry hop as you say) and taste it on a regular basis. Once it gets to the point of pepper taste/flavor/heat rack it off and keg/bottle it.

Also be aware that the flavor/taste may diminish over time but from what I can tell so far the heat does not.

Here is my Smoked Habanero Imperial Porter recipe

Also here are a couple beers that a brewpub in my hometown brew and that info might help you as well.

Amber Chili Ale

Green Chili Beer
__________________
Primary:
Secondary:
On deck:

 
Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2008, 10:29 AM   #3
brewt00l
Recipes 
 
Dec 2006
Doylestown, PA
Posts: 3,725
Liked 12 Times on 12 Posts


BYO - Hot! Hot! Hot! Brewing with Chili Peppers

I added mine to the last 10 mins of the boil. It's a interesting sensation where you get the heat not not as much up front pepper flavor.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2008, 11:04 AM   #4
Jim Karr
 
Jim Karr's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Dec 2005
SW Michigan..Bangor/Covert area
Posts: 1,259
Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts


Brewpastor won a medal for a chili beer. Check out his recipe pulldown. It should be there.
__________________
As for me and my household, we shall serve the Lord. Joshua




"God is great, beer is good, people are crazy." Some country artist

 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2009, 02:24 AM   #5
reelseasick
Recipes 
 
Feb 2007
NJ
Posts: 62

Just had club comp (WHALES) and came in 3rd of 17. Bottle was a gusher and then, the chili popped out of the bottle like a happy monkey at the zoo. A youtube moment. I'll have to try to do it again and record.
__________________
"I don't drink as much as I should"

 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2009, 04:27 PM   #6
dboblitt
Recipes 
 
Nov 2008
Posts: 27
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts


I just made a pale ale base and the put some jalapenos in the primary and then jalapenos and seranos in the secondary. It has a good chunk of heat with some pepper flavor too. I did roast all of the peppers before putting them in the fermentor too.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2009, 05:06 PM   #7
TexasSpartan
Recipes 
 
Jan 2009
Dallas, TX
Posts: 755
Liked 23 Times on 19 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by HarvInSTL View Post
What type of beer are you thinking of making?

Depending on the beer style would/should dictate what type of pepper(s) you use and how much.

As an example I made a smoked habanero imperial porter and I used 3 habanero's soaked in rum (to help sanitize them) and let them soak in the secondary for 6 weeks.

Way too much and way too long!
That sounds dangerous!
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarvInSTL View Post
Also here are a couple beers that a brewpub in my hometown brew and that info might help you as well.

Amber Chili Ale

Green Chili Beer
That Amber Chili Ale sounds good. I've been wanting to make a chili pepper beer and I've been kicking around different ideas for the base beer. An amber sounds like a good base beer.
__________________
Dead Felon Brewing

 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 08:08 PM   #8
brewguyver
Member
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
 
brewguyver's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Feb 2011
Pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 1,429
Liked 167 Times on 121 Posts


::bump::

One of my brewing buddies belongs to a capsaicin club at work - some of the members are actually growing ghost pepper and scorpion pepper plants under the office fluorescents. After seeing a plug for Morebeer's chipotle candi syrup, i've been inspired to make a smoked scorpion pepper version for a raspberry saison (yes, i realize this is a VERY bad idea).

Has anyone looked into hop/chili/yeast combinations - e.g. which hops and which yeast highlight the flavor of the peppers the best? Some beers (and wines) are god awful with spicy food, so i'd imagine the same goes for mixing the wrong flavors into a beer. My instinct says more malt and less hops, but it'd be "cool" to get the bitterness and burn into the same beer.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 10:18 PM   #9
ploppythesausage
Recipes 
 
Sep 2011
Edinburgh, UK
Posts: 109
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts


That sounds like a plan - I made an extract stout with coffee and chocolate and 3-4 dried nagas for 4 gallons. Basically the main ingredients of my mole sauce. The beer is called stoutmaskreplica.
The chilis were added dried to the end of the boil.

The beer gave a nice chili-glow when drunk. Not that stingy chilli pain, but a warming sensation on your lips etc. The experience after a chilli burn then. Over time it became more chocolatey from the cocoa in the boil. The chilli heat never died. If I were to do it again I think i'd add some smoked malt to get a chipotle-esque flavour (but i find chipotles may be a bit to mild to get across in beer unless you use a stupid amount). Nice fruitiness from the nagas too. Man i'm going to have to make this again, my girlfriend loved it so it didn't last long!

underbelly Likes This 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 10:28 PM   #10
RainyDay
Recipes 
 
Apr 2010
Seattle
Posts: 539
Liked 42 Times on 31 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by ploppythesausage View Post
That sounds like a plan - I made an extract stout with coffee and chocolate and 3-4 dried nagas for 4 gallons. Basically the main ingredients of my mole sauce. The beer is called stoutmaskreplica.
The chilis were added dried to the end of the boil.

The beer gave a nice chili-glow when drunk. Not that stingy chilli pain, but a warming sensation on your lips etc. The experience after a chilli burn then. Over time it became more chocolatey from the cocoa in the boil. The chilli heat never died. If I were to do it again I think i'd add some smoked malt to get a chipotle-esque flavour (but i find chipotles may be a bit to mild to get across in beer unless you use a stupid amount). Nice fruitiness from the nagas too. Man i'm going to have to make this again, my girlfriend loved it so it didn't last long!
Haha, I love how you can find flavors other than "HOLY $H!T" from the worlds hottest pepper!

 
Reply With Quote
Reply
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
my first attempt at a chile beer what do you think? LSDracula Extract Brewing 11 01-26-2011 10:27 PM
Serrano Chile Beer homebeerbrewer Specialty, Fruit, Historical, Other Homebrew Recipes 7 12-31-2010 01:05 PM
Green Chile beer Weizenheimer General Beer Discussion 53 08-24-2010 07:33 PM
Chile Verde Beer season! Brewpastor Recipes/Ingredients 18 09-04-2009 04:28 PM
Chile Beer Help dmorris3333 Recipes/Ingredients 3 03-30-2007 01:16 PM


Forum Jump