Peary style Mead

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BigKahuna

HBT Supporter
Reaction score
2# Diced fresh ripe pear.
1# Honey
10 Dried Blueberries (Chopped)
1" Vanilla Bean (Split and Scraped)
D-47 Yeast.
1 tsp Yeast Nutrient
1/4 tsp Yeast Energizer
Pectic Enzyme

OG 1.062
FG 0.990 (Expected)

Prepare vanilla, Blueberries, and Pear, then put in bottom of fermentor. Add 2 qt of Boiling Water, and let steep for 5 minutes, then mash up a bit and add honey. Add enough cold water to top up, then add Pectic Enzyme, Nutrient, and Energizer. My Enzyme recommends adding it 1 hour before fermentation, so I waited 1 hour to add yeast.
This will be an OPEN FERMENTATION for a few days, then I will transfer to secondary with an air lock.
When it's clear, I will carbonate with 1 oz of sugar, and bottle in clear beer bottles.

Has the primary finished yet? Do you have it in a secondary? I'm guessing the few blueberries didn't add any significant color but they should have added some nutrients, right? Sounds like it's going to be a tasty one!

It is in Secondary.
The blueberries may have added enough color to change the tint of the must...but very little. I was actually hopeing that they would add some depth behind the vanilla, but at the moment it kinda tastes like vanilla Vodka.

I'll let ya know how it is, but my hopes are high, expections are low. :D

How is this a year later? I have come into some pears and have no idea what to do with them, but I have enjoyed many of your other recipes, so I am curious if this one is worth it.

I tried out this recipe last year when I had a surplus of foraged asian pears - It went bone dry, but now the asian pear flavor is back, and so is some of the honey flavor! The asian pears are great for a dry mead. They're not super sweet to begin with, and they come through really well without the residual sweetness. I didn't have the vanilla handy for that batch and didn't use any at the time. It worked, but I do think a little vanilla will be a great addition when I do this again!

Back