Where did the water go!? - Home Brew Forums
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Where did the water go!?

Old 09-16-2008, 01:37 AM   #1
Qdog
Recipes 

Jul 2008
York

SO we are on our 9th beer brew and so far so good. We have not messed anything up and we successfully plowed through our beer like alcoholic trojan horses!!!

I decided to make up my own recipe and got the blessing from our LHBS owner that it "should" be a good IPA which is what I was shooting for. My question is.....the 5 gallons of "Cheap-Ass IPA" as I named it is sitting in my carboy with no signs of the usual fermentation activity????? Also for some reason i had to re-fill my airlock with water twice.......what gives????

Its been about 5 days since the brew. My recipe is the typical IPA recipe just with my own selection of hop additions. Used WLP001 yeast. Extract. Pitched yeast at about 85-90 degrees.....is that where i messed up?????

Again...any input much appreciated.

Old 09-16-2008, 01:40 AM   #2
Brooklyn-Brewtality
Four Beasts Brewery
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Aug 2008
Brooklyn
Liked 24 Times on 19 Posts

Wow. Way too hot to pitch yeast.

It shouldn't have killed it, but not good. Missing water, and i might be wrong here, is due to suck-back from the wort cooling once the airlock was on.

Old 09-16-2008, 01:46 AM   #3
Rick500
Recipes 

Jun 2008
KY
Liked 15 Times on 13 Posts

Yeah, +1 on both counts, I'd say.

Old 09-16-2008, 01:52 AM   #4
Qdog
Recipes 

Jul 2008
York

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick500 View Post
Yeah, +1 on both counts, I'd say.

damnit....i knew it......am i pretty much f'd hear with this one.....

edit: its cool now....can i add yeast

Old 09-16-2008, 01:55 AM   #5
Brooklyn-Brewtality
Four Beasts Brewery

Recipes 

Aug 2008
Brooklyn
Liked 24 Times on 19 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qdog View Post
damnit....i knew it......am i pretty much f'd hear with this one.....

edit: its cool now....can i add yeast

After 5 days, there is pretty decent chance of infection. But, if i was you, I would re-pitch yeast and see how it tastes in 2 weeks. Might be minimal effect on taste, if you are lucky

Old 09-16-2008, 02:05 AM   #6
TheJadedDog
AFK ATM

Recipes 

Aug 2006
People's Republic of Cambridge
Liked 16 Times on 13 Posts

If you've had an airlock on the whole time and have been reasonably good about refilling it with santized water I wouldn't be too worried about infection. Even if you hadn't, never assume you have an infection, re-pitch and see what happens.

On Tap: Nadda
Primary: Nadda
Planning: Extra Special Bitter

Old 09-16-2008, 02:12 AM   #7
Qdog
Recipes 

Jul 2008
York

alright...thanks alot guys. i will re-pitch tomorrow and in a couple of weeks i will let you all know the outcome just so the other newbs can learn from my ignorance....

thanks again.

Old 09-16-2008, 02:45 PM   #8
pjj2ba
Look under the recliner

Recipes 

Jul 2006
State College, Pennsylvania
Liked 205 Times on 167 Posts

Sometimes with the 3-peice airlocks if they are a bit stuck in the cork and you've done some good torqueing on it you can put a small crack in the bottom resulting is a small leak. I'd check for a crack in the airlock. Also if you don't put the cap on, it will evaporate much faster.
Primary: Ger Pils, CAP
Brewing soon: Pale lager, Amer. wheat
Recently kicked : (
Pilsner Urquell Master Homebrewer
(1st NYC 2011, 2nd NYC 2012)
P U crowns winners in its inaugural master HB competition

Old 09-16-2008, 03:18 PM   #9
powerjb
Recipes 

May 2008
chicago, logan square.

did you check the gravity before you repitched? They yeast may really like that hotter temp. Fermentation could have happened in a flash that warm, resulting in large quantities of fusel alcohols.

watch out for HEADACHES!

that said, if it was hot enough to kill the yeast, you may be in luck. I did the same thing with a stout, repitched on day 4, and it turned out fine.

good luck.

Old 09-16-2008, 05:06 PM   #10
hopsalot
Recipes 

Sep 2007
Corpus, Texas
Liked 18 Times on 17 Posts

well you almost made it to ten with no screw ups, that pretty good. I have a bock that was sucking water back in, I re pitched and it was bubbling several times a second, a bit violent