Boone Pickens was wrong! - Page 2 - Home Brew Forums
Register Now For Free!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > Drunken Ramblings and Mindless Mumbling > Boone Pickens was wrong!

Old 09-16-2008, 03:36 AM   #11
TxBrew
Administrator
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Feb 2004
Liked 2205 Times on 775 Posts

Here is the link FYI ...

www.dcexaminer.com >> Timothy Carney

Quote:
The basic story amounts to this: Pickens, thanks to favors from state lawmakers whose campaigns he funded, has created a new government whose only voters are two of his employers; this has empowered Pickens to more cheaply pump water from an aquifer and, by use of eminent domain, seize land across 11 counties in order to pipe the water to Dallas. To win environmentalist approval of this hardly “sustainable” practice, he has piggybacked this water project onto a windmill project pitched as an alternative to oil.

Register Now!

Old 09-16-2008, 08:43 AM   #12
Kauai_Kahuna
Recipes 

May 2008
Hawaii
Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TxBrew View Post
Here is the link FYI ...
www.dcexaminer.com >> Timothy Carney
Yep, sounds like he is a smart man, competent in working through problems and in general an American business man. Speculation on oil was way overdone, oil 148, nat gas was 13 or so, way out of wack.
With all of this forced de-leveraging commodities are falling through the floor. Not good if you own metal and energy stocks but hey, I'll just pour another HB.
Conditioning: Mead, Cider, braggot, Belgium Wheat.
On Tap: Clones, Chimay Blue, Red, Porter, malted cider.
Bottles: Far, far, too many to list.

Old 09-16-2008, 09:08 AM   #13
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Dec 2007
"Detroitish" Michigan
Liked 3198 Times on 1886 Posts

So WHEN did this drop happen? When I was driving home from work Gas was still over $4.50 a gallon 'cause of the Hurricane. Though how the hurricane caused the price of the gas ALREADY in the tanks of the Gas station to suddenly need to cost more, I still don't understand...

When people talk about T-Boone, I always think of Slim Pickens...

[youtube]9ynY5NvYsZY[/youtube]

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 09-16-2008, 02:40 PM   #14
david_42

Recipes 

Oct 2005
Oak Grove, Oregon, USA
Liked 155 Times on 145 Posts

With major ports out, we see the following:

1. World oil drops, because the USA can't import as much.
2. US gasoline goes up for the same reason.
3. Diesel prices drop, because we can't EXPORT it.

This summer, we had the first major wind power outage. Just plain luck the wind dropped slowly enough that the other plants could take up the slack. If Boone's farm gets built, there won't be enough extra capacity in the SW grid to cover an outage.

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Old 09-16-2008, 02:52 PM   #15
the_bird
10th-Level Beer Nerd
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

May 2006
Adams, MA
Liked 534 Times on 429 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeFlynn74 View Post
Pickens was wrong- 90% of the opinions I have read have been that oil will go to 60-70 and stay.
90% of the opinions two months' ago were that crude was going to $200 and probably not stopping. Just sayin', it's amazing how quickly the conventional wisdom changes.

"I'm kind of toasted. But I looked at my watch and it's only 6:30 so I can't stop drinking yet." - Yooper's Bob
"Brown eye finally recovered after the abuse it endured in Ptown last weekend, but it took almost a full week." - Paulie
"no, he just doesn't speak 'stupid'. i, however, am fluent...." - motobrewer
"... I'll go both ways." - Melana

Old 09-16-2008, 06:50 PM   #16
Kilgore_Trout
Recipes 

Sep 2008
Iowa

Judging by his income level, I'd say he's right more often than wrong.

But don't be fooled by his "plan" like any good business proposition, he's doing it for his own financial gain. Not saying that we shouldn't move towards alternatives... just that it's naive to follow him blindly.

Old 09-17-2008, 07:38 AM   #17
Kauai_Kahuna
Recipes 

May 2008
Hawaii
Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

Well Pickens was WRONG, in that he predicted that Oil would go up to $150 on the last run. It topped out at what $147?
DAMM A$$h0le.... He was off by $2. Last time I listen to him.
In the world today, nothing big gets done unless you con everything into thinking it was a good idea, then they curse you and then make you saint. Or they just send you to jail, or shoot you in places like Russia or China.
Most retire with a few billion dollars and are forgotten to history.
Personally, I'm still in shock that the taxpayer has been forced to pick up hundreds of billions of dollars lately, and everyone seems to be happy?
Maybe I just need more beer, or "Jones Town cool-aid" to fully understand it.
Conditioning: Mead, Cider, braggot, Belgium Wheat.
On Tap: Clones, Chimay Blue, Red, Porter, malted cider.
Bottles: Far, far, too many to list.