Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Pouring in Priming sugar in and giving a good stir, good enough?

Old 09-15-2008, 06:30 PM   #1
StrictlyIPAs
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Pouring in Priming sugar in and giving a good stir, good enough?

I would like to bottle right out of my primary fermenter that has a spigot on it.

Of course, I'll hook up a bottling wand to the spigot to reduce oxidation.

But I was wondering if I make a priming sugar solution and pour it into the top of the bucket with a few good stirs, if that is sufficient in terms of spreading it around evenly.

Thanks!

Old 09-15-2008, 06:31 PM   #2
Big10Seaner
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

I don't see how that could work without getting extremely yeasty and cloudy beer. If you stir the primary, all the trub on the bottom is going to go into solution and then into your bottles.

On tap: Some Sort of IPA, Cherry Cider
Bottled: Belgian Sour (1st place winner Binny's Chicago Comp)

Old 09-15-2008, 06:32 PM   #3
Stinkonamonkey
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

You'll also stir up the trub.

Old 09-15-2008, 06:43 PM   #4
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2883 Times on 1701 Posts
Likes Given: 3514

all your patience of letting the beer settle and clear will be wasted the moment you kick up the trub and yeast to mix the sugar in, and you will have a ton of goop in the bottom of the bottles as well, that is if you got consistent carbonation to begin with, without oxygentating the beer.....GO GET A BOTTLING BUCKET, or go to a hardware store and get a paint bucket, and a camping spigot and make one of your own...It will cost you 7 bucks from a hardware store...

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 09-15-2008, 07:31 PM   #5
Homercidal
Licensed Sensual Massage Therapist.
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 3632 Times on 2470 Posts
Likes Given: 2419

You don't necessarily even need a spigot do do it right, but it would make things much easier. Just to re-enforce what the others are saying: Don't stir up the primary!

If you get a bucket without a spigot, sanitize well, and add some boiled sugar water to it, then gently pour beer on top of it before bottling.

If you mix up the beer in the primary, you will end up with very nasty-looking beer. You want as much of the trub left behind as possible.

Old 09-15-2008, 11:16 PM   #6
saul
Recipes 

Why not use a syphon rod?