American Pale Ale Wild Dog Days of Summer Ale - Page 4 - Home Brew Forums
Home Brew Forums > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Homebrew Ale Recipes > American Pale Ale Wild Dog Days of Summer Ale

Old 07-29-2011, 04:26 AM   #31
borden
Recipes 

Sep 2010
Freiburg im Breisgau, Germany
Liked 17 Times on 13 Posts

I just cracked my first of this. Did it mostly as prescribed, but replaced the Simcoe with Citra and used Amarillo pellets that were a higher AA (closer to 10%). I also dry hopped an ounce of that Amarillo for a week.

... and it's great! The extra hops really complement the orange zest. I overpoured the beer and got some yeast sediment in there, but I'm happy I did -- it's making this a great mix of flavors. If anyone's had Surly's Bitter Brewer, it reminds me of that mixed with a witbier (thanks to that yeast and the orange). I dig it.

Looking forward to seeing how this ages, too. I've only had it in bottle for 2 1/2 weeks, after roughly a month in primary. I suspect the orange will pull back a bit, but that's fine by me, as there's a lot of other great flavors coming through.

Thanks for the recipe! I'll definitely be fiddling with this one next spring and summer some more.

EDIT: Realized I used US-05 for yeast (had a packet in the fridge). Doubt it made a big difference, but FWIW.

Old 02-27-2012, 02:46 PM   #32
CykoAGR
Recipes 

Feb 2012
Waukee, Iowa

Brewed this yesterday following the OP's instructions to the letter except adding lemon zest as one other poster suggested.

we will see how it turns out.

Old 04-15-2012, 01:08 AM   #33
MrEggSandwich
Recipes 

Feb 2012
Highland Park, NJ
Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Brewed this today with the lady for our 5th overall batch...

-Made my first succesful starter on Thursday with WLP001. Started with a lot water (6.25) gallons and substituted .5oz Summit....could not get Simcoe. Fresh zest of 4 organic naval oranges..lol

My gravity wasn' where I wanted it (1.052)...but what the hell. This should be a tasty one.

Old 04-29-2012, 04:06 PM   #34
bobeer
Recipes 

Feb 2012
Round Hill, VA
Liked 266 Times on 220 Posts

Just bottled this late last night. The FG was a little higher than I wanted at just under 1.020. The beer tasted pretty good but was missing more hop aroma and flavor. Next time I'll probably dry hop or put in a bigger late addition.
We'll see how it turns our after a few weeks in the bottle. I'm going on my honeymoon on the 9th-22nd so it'll have plenty of time to condition. Good lawnmower beer on a hot day for sure!
On Tap: IryePA 4.0, AmberHop ale-session version
Bottled: Bourbon Bbl Po' Boy Stout, Bourbon Oak Brolic Strong ale

Old 04-30-2012, 05:34 PM   #35
jetsfan4ever80
Recipes 

Mar 2012
Jersey Shore, NJ

I'm sure this is a very big noob question, but why steep in two different kettles? Why not just steep in one kettle with around 4-5 gallons of water?

Old 04-30-2012, 08:24 PM   #36
bobeer
Recipes 

Feb 2012
Round Hill, VA
Liked 266 Times on 220 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetsfan4ever80 View Post
I'm sure this is a very big noob question, but why steep in two different kettles? Why not just steep in one kettle with around 4-5 gallons of water?
I'm also a beginner but you only steep in the 2nd kettle for about 10 minutes; if I remember correctly... I assume you do this so when you add the extra gallon, from the 2nd kettle, it doesn't water down the gallon of water in the main kettle you steeped longer in. Just a guess.
On Tap: IryePA 4.0, AmberHop ale-session version
Bottled: Bourbon Bbl Po' Boy Stout, Bourbon Oak Brolic Strong ale

Old 05-15-2012, 12:11 AM   #37
Alchemy
Recipes 

Oct 2011
Manchester, ct
Liked 23 Times on 15 Posts

Might try doing an all grain version of this. sounds tasty
Bottled Bog Monster Cranberry Grape Melomel, Grape Burn and Pillage Pyment
Kegged A Dark Ale w/No Name, Tosh's Cinnamon Challenge Cider, Carabou Slobber

Old 05-18-2012, 07:40 PM   #38
molnar20
Recipes 

Jan 2012
Indiana, Pa

Ok here my variation on the recipe. Using I want to use .5 of Citra as the bittering hop, keep the amarillo gold. And then dry hop with the other .5 of citra. Also thinking about using zest of one orange and one lemon.
I only have one 4 gal pot so I was going to do everything in a three gallon boil then mix it all together in the fermentor. Can anyone see any problems with this method? Suggestions? Comments?

Edit: of course I was going to the late extract addition.

Old 06-25-2012, 08:18 PM   #39
zfite731
Recipes 

Jun 2012
jackson, tennessee

How late in the boil did you add the DME?

Old 06-25-2012, 08:20 PM   #40
zfite731
Recipes 

Jun 2012
jackson, tennessee

Nevermind! Should have kept reading!