Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Yeast Washing Question

Old 09-15-2008, 01:59 AM   #1
cellardoor
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Default Yeast Washing Question

I washed my first liquid yeast following the directions on this site. It was really easy and I am now happy to have all this yeast I don't have to pay for in future batches. I didn't have any mason jars available so I stored the yeast in 6 beer bottles. My question is now that the yeast has settled and a distinct yeast layer has formed am I able to decant the liquid out and combine those 6 bottles into 1 bottle of mega yeast. I ask this because I do not have a dedicated brewing fridge yet and SWMBO is complaining of lack of fridge space if I continue to wash all the different strains I plan on using. Then when I plan on using said mega bottle of yeast can I just use a portion of stores yeast and toss in a starter?

Primary: Smoked Porter
Secondary: Flanders Red 2010
Kegged: 10.10.10, Robust Porter, American IPA

"Without algae, there would be no life on earth, the seas would be sterile and the land would be uncolonized."
-Sir David Attenborough

Old 09-15-2008, 03:00 AM   #2
HairyDogBrewing
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

One of those in a 2 quart starter should be good for a batch.

If you combine all six you would probably have more than enough yeast to skip the starter step.