Ss Brewtech’s Biggest Baddest Holiday Giveaway Ever!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Hops Growing > My tiny hop harvest. How to use them?
Old 09-14-2008, 04:30 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Liked 22 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default My tiny hop harvest. How to use them?

I harvested my first year hops this morning and only got 1.1 oz of centennial. That's the freshly picked weight, not dried. I want to get the most out of these little cones as I worked and waited so long for them. I have a 5 gal batch of Amber ale in the fermenter now that is very actively fermenting. I'm thinking that I should toss my wet green hops in there to get the most out of them but should I wait until active fermentation has slowed first? Should I chop up the cones first to get better exposure to the lupulin? any suggestions?

Give us this day our liquid bread
Old 09-14-2008, 11:05 PM   #2

How many cones? 1.1 oz freshly picked isn't very much, and being first-year hops, in my experience you shouldn't expect much of them. I'd either add them to the secondary ("dry-hop"), or maybe save them and put a couple in a glass of beer! I just did that the other day, and it can add a new dimension to a beer. Very nice!

Old 09-14-2008, 11:20 PM   #3
Liked 34 Times on 30 Posts
Likes Given: 8

I harvested a whopping total of .3oz of Fuggles. Amazing how a decent pile of cones can be so light. I haven't figured out how to use them yet, and they probably won't impact any beer but I'm still using them.
Make Beer, Not War.