Vienna Lager Brad's Vienna Lager - Page 4 - Home Brew Forums
Home Brew Forums > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Homebrew Lager Recipes > Vienna Lager Brad's Vienna Lager

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 06-10-2010, 10:47 PM   #31
bluebrew17
Recipes 
 
Feb 2010
Prescott, AZ
Posts: 25
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts


The SRM is really low on this, shouldn't you add like 2oz of black patent or something to get a slightly darker vienna color?



 
Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 01:15 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluebrew17 View Post
The SRM is really low on this, shouldn't you add like 2oz of black patent or something to get a slightly darker vienna color?
If you're looking to brew totally to style you probably should. I don't have much interest in that myself as it adds nothing to the flavour in this case.


__________________
Brad
Canadian Brewers Unite!


Projects: Sylvania Kegerator Conversion, Tower Cooling, Grain Milling Station

 
Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 01:28 PM   #33
SpanishCastleAle
Recipes 
 
Jan 2009
Central Florida
Posts: 4,345
Liked 36 Times on 36 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by bluebrew17 View Post
The SRM is really low on this, shouldn't you add like 2oz of black patent or something to get a slightly darker vienna color?
When I'm trying to brew one to style I use a little Carafa Special II (i.e. dehusked, ~410 SRM). I think my last one used 1.5 oz but it had some dark munich too.
__________________
Early brewers were primarily women, mostly because it was deemed a woman's job. Mesopotamian men, of some 3,800 years ago, were obviously complete assclowns and had yet to realize the pleasure of brewing beer.- Beer Advocate

 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 04:32 AM   #34
Bugaboo
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
 
Bugaboo's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Jul 2010
Beer In My Mouthland
Posts: 365
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts


Brewed this a while back. Drank it pretty fast. Added some carapils i had left over from another beer just to get the color right for style.

Good beer. Wouldn't make it again because it's a smash beer, therefore simple. And that's to point. Really helps you understand what the ingredients taste like, which helps me think about what will happen to future recipes if I add vienna malt or hallertau.
__________________
"If you ever reach total enlightenment while drinking beer, I bet it makes beer shoot out your nose."
-Deep Thought, Jack Handy

"Brewers enjoy working to make beer as much as drinking beer instead of working."
-Harold Rudolph

 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2010, 08:33 PM   #35
duffman2
Recipes 
 
Jun 2009
Houston Texas
Posts: 608
Liked 9 Times on 5 Posts


After much anguish and deliberation, I've decided to try this first w/o doing my first decoction attempt.

So, I'm going single infusion and thinking about a mash temp of about 154 for 60 minutes. So, no melanoidins for me

But, we'll see how she goes. I still have high hopes for it and I'm beginning the brew now so if anyone has any tips or suggestions, feel free to let me know

Cheers

 
Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 09:39 PM   #36
KuntzBrewing
Recipes 
 
Aug 2011
Kokomo, Indiana
Posts: 630
Liked 14 Times on 13 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by duffman2
After much anguish and deliberation, I've decided to try this first w/o doing my first decoction attempt.

So, I'm going single infusion and thinking about a mash temp of about 154 for 60 minutes. So, no melanoidins for me
Do the decoction I did it for my 2nd all grain and its not hard at all, I just did plenty of reasearch and watched youtube videos on it, it'll help so much with the traditional malt flavor

 
Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 02:13 PM   #37
BenS
Recipes 
 
Mar 2009
Posts: 973
Liked 32 Times on 28 Posts


I have brewed this recipe 4-5 times now and I love it. I have brewed it multiple ways as well, decoction, single infusion, multiple infusion. It's an awesome beer that shows how great a simple recipe lager really can be.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 02:36 AM   #38
dye4me
Recipes 
 
Oct 2011
cranbrookish, ish
Posts: 113
Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts


I would really like to try this beer out but I seem to be struggling with understanding the mash schedule. Could someone help me the following:

-How long is this mash in total?
-At what time in the mash are the decoctions pulled and added back in? I don't understand the note " step time represent how far back decoction is pulled" How far from where?
-Is the rest time the duration of the rest or the time in the mash that the rest begins?
-Do i pull the decoction and heat it to infusion temperature, and just keep it boiling until its ready to go back in?
-Could someone help me with the ratio of the decoction, Im used to ratios expressed as 1:3 not as 1.36 or 3.13. How much water and how much grist should be pulled for first and second decoction?

Sorry if these question seem dim and obvious to everyone else but ive been reading this for quite some time and it still makes not alot of sense so if someone could help me sort it out that would be great.

Thanks

 
Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2015, 01:45 AM   #39
TheBigLebrewsk1
Recipes 
 
Mar 2015
Posts: 206
Liked 26 Times on 24 Posts


I brewed this, its still on tap. It went over well, I would say its a great simple Vienna lager. I did a step mash but did not do the decoction. Which may, slightly impacted mouthfeel. To do it over again, I would add 4 oz melanoidin malt maybe a little more base malt, few more IBUs, all of which cater more to my tastes.

Good recipe, Thank you for sharing.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2015, 02:31 AM   #40
sburnt
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
 
sburnt's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Aug 2012
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Posts: 120
Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by dye4me View Post
I would really like to try this beer out but I seem to be struggling with understanding the mash schedule. Could someone help me the following:

-How long is this mash in total?
-At what time in the mash are the decoctions pulled and added back in? I don't understand the note " step time represent how far back decoction is pulled" How far from where?
-Is the rest time the duration of the rest or the time in the mash that the rest begins?
-Do i pull the decoction and heat it to infusion temperature, and just keep it boiling until its ready to go back in?
-Could someone help me with the ratio of the decoction, Im used to ratios expressed as 1:3 not as 1.36 or 3.13. How much water and how much grist should be pulled for first and second decoction?

Sorry if these question seem dim and obvious to everyone else but ive been reading this for quite some time and it still makes not alot of sense so if someone could help me sort it out that would be great.

Thanks
I know this is an old thread, but @Yooper is a huge fan of this recipe and I'm looking to do a Vienna Lager, I have similar questions -- but I don't even SEE the decoction schedule. I assume it must be in the .rec and .xml files, which I am unable to import/use. Is the decoction schedule displayed somewhere in this thread, and I just missed it? If not, can someone post it (with explanations, since I haven't tried a decoction before)? Many thanks.


__________________
Primary: Nothing!
Kegged: Emerald Isle Irish Red, 2nd Crack Peace Coffee Stout
In Bottles: Oatmeal Stout, Saison de Noel, Foolhardy Porter, Kinderweisse, Chinook IPA, Independence Wheat, Stellar Pilsner, Unblended Lambic, 3-6-9 APA, Extra Lying Stout, Dr. Maltinator, Hellfire Rauch, Export D'Esprit, Declination Roggenbier, Left Town Brown Dubbel, Papa's Bier (patersbier), Not The Moose Brown Ale, Derelict Strong Ale, Rookie Card Pale Ale, Koma Coffee Chocolate Stout

 
Reply With Quote
Reply
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
First lager recipe - Vienna lager RayZab Recipes/Ingredients 5 01-19-2016 01:18 PM
Vienna lager/ale pseudo lager? NickThoR General Techniques 16 11-23-2014 08:40 AM
Vienna Lager blefferd Recipes/Ingredients 3 03-27-2013 12:35 PM
Vienna lager with California lager yeast? phenry Recipes/Ingredients 4 09-09-2011 03:12 PM
Seeking amber lager/Vienna Lager? ben_j8mmin Recipes/Ingredients 10 08-21-2008 03:21 PM


Forum Jump