Vienna Lager Brad's Vienna Lager - Page 2 - Home Brew Forums

Register Now!
Home Brew Forums > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Homebrew Lager Recipes > Vienna Lager Brad's Vienna Lager

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 01-26-2009, 01:50 PM   #11
balto charlie
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
 
balto charlie's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Nov 2005
Md
Posts: 798
Liked 9 Times on 7 Posts


I failed to brew this weekend I didn't think I had enough time to get the starter going. Plus my fermenting room got down into the low 40'sF(5C) and felt this might be a little too cold. I will have to wait 2 weeks before I can brew because I will be out of town next week. After much reading and you 'tube viewing' I decided to man up and decoc brew this bad boy. The week after I brew the Vienna I want to brew an Oktoberfest using the yeast cake Should be quite an adventure.
__________________
Drinking Sessions IPA, Pilsner, Bock, Oktoberfest
Conditioning Sessions IPA, Raison D'etreClone-Belgian Dark Strong ale, Oktoberfest, Czekh Pilsner, Bock
Secondary
Primary DIPA
On Deck Kate RIS clone, Russian River APA clone, Dominion Oak Barrel Stout

 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 02:04 PM   #12
bradsul
Flyfisherman/brewer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
 
bradsul's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Sep 2006
Ontario, Canada
Posts: 4,898
Liked 32 Times on 25 Posts


Awesome! Be sure to post how it turns out!
__________________
Brad
Canadian Brewers Unite!


Projects: Sylvania Kegerator Conversion, Tower Cooling, Grain Milling Station

 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 02:02 PM   #13
balto charlie
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
 
balto charlie's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Nov 2005
Md
Posts: 798
Liked 9 Times on 7 Posts


Finally brewed the double decoc of this recipe. Wow what a day. Took over 6 hours but went smooth. My efficiency was really high...for me. Usually I am happy with 75% but on this brew I got 84%. OG was 1.054, was expecting 1.049. Wonderful aroma during the decoction boil. It was extremely light in color. It is now fermenting wrapped in an old sleeping bag in my old base,ent coal room with temps in the high 40's low 50's(8-12C). Hope to lager in the garage for the month of March.
Decoction brewing raises ones efficiency but at a cost of propane and time. As this one finishes primary I will make another decoction...Maerzen
Thanks for the recipe Brad. Best, Charlie
PS I'll let you know how it taste.
__________________
Drinking Sessions IPA, Pilsner, Bock, Oktoberfest
Conditioning Sessions IPA, Raison D'etreClone-Belgian Dark Strong ale, Oktoberfest, Czekh Pilsner, Bock
Secondary
Primary DIPA
On Deck Kate RIS clone, Russian River APA clone, Dominion Oak Barrel Stout

 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 04:51 PM   #14
SpanishCastleAle
 
SpanishCastleAle's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Jan 2009
Central Florida
Posts: 4,345
Liked 36 Times on 36 Posts


Quote:
Finally brewed the double decoc of this recipe. Wow what a day. Took over 6 hours but went smooth. My efficiency was really high...for me. Usually I am happy with 75% but on this brew I got 84%. OG was 1.054, was expecting 1.049. Wonderful aroma during the decoction boil. It was extremely light in color. It is now fermenting wrapped in an old sleeping bag in my old base,ent coal room with temps in the high 40's low 50's(8-12C). Hope to lager in the garage for the month of March.
Decoction brewing raises ones efficiency but at a cost of propane and time. As this one finishes primary I will make another decoction...Maerzen
Thanks for the recipe Brad. Best, Charlie
PS I'll let you know how it taste.
You just about described my Vienna and the decoction I did in late January to a tee...and I also plan on using some washed yeast from it to make a Marzen very soon (then an Oktoberfest after that). I also got 1.054 OG and an efficiency of 84% (spooky). I agree the decoction boil aroma is awesome towards the end. I racked it to a secondary keg at 15 days @ 1.014 and it already tasted decent (I usually hate green beer).
__________________
Early brewers were primarily women, mostly because it was deemed a woman's job. Mesopotamian men, of some 3,800 years ago, were obviously complete assclowns and had yet to realize the pleasure of brewing beer.- Beer Advocate

 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2009, 05:04 AM   #15
balto charlie
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
 
balto charlie's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Nov 2005
Md
Posts: 798
Liked 9 Times on 7 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by SpanishCastleAle View Post
You just about described my Vienna and the decoction I did in late January to a tee...and I also plan on using some washed yeast from it to make a Marzen very soon (then an Oktoberfest after that). I also got 1.054 OG and an efficiency of 84% (spooky). I agree the decoction boil aroma is awesome towards the end. I racked it to a secondary keg at 15 days @ 1.014 and it already tasted decent (I usually hate green beer).
Crack of dawn tomorrow am double decocting a Boh Pils. Water, grains are ready to roll. Hope I will be too. Since it is 12:04 AM I guess the brew is actually today, in a few hours. Gotta go to bed.
__________________
Drinking Sessions IPA, Pilsner, Bock, Oktoberfest
Conditioning Sessions IPA, Raison D'etreClone-Belgian Dark Strong ale, Oktoberfest, Czekh Pilsner, Bock
Secondary
Primary DIPA
On Deck Kate RIS clone, Russian River APA clone, Dominion Oak Barrel Stout

 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2009, 02:08 PM   #16
SpanishCastleAle
 
SpanishCastleAle's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Jan 2009
Central Florida
Posts: 4,345
Liked 36 Times on 36 Posts


Quote:
Crack of dawn tomorrow am double decocting a Boh Pils. Water, grains are ready to roll. Hope I will be too. Since it is 12:04 AM I guess the brew is actually today, in a few hours. Gotta go to bed.
No effin' way. I'll give you one guess what I'm doing right now!
__________________
Early brewers were primarily women, mostly because it was deemed a woman's job. Mesopotamian men, of some 3,800 years ago, were obviously complete assclowns and had yet to realize the pleasure of brewing beer.- Beer Advocate

 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 03:40 PM   #17
balto charlie
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
 
balto charlie's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Nov 2005
Md
Posts: 798
Liked 9 Times on 7 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by SpanishCastleAle View Post
No effin' way. I'll give you one guess what I'm doing right now!
Are you my clone
Nailed my SG, 1.056!! 80% efficiency(4%drop from last batch)used part of the last yeast cake, pitched at noon, bubbling when I got home at 6:00PM at 50F. Next up...Oktoberfest-Marzen. Using same yeast I pulled off the cake, just honing the recipe.
__________________
Drinking Sessions IPA, Pilsner, Bock, Oktoberfest
Conditioning Sessions IPA, Raison D'etreClone-Belgian Dark Strong ale, Oktoberfest, Czekh Pilsner, Bock
Secondary
Primary DIPA
On Deck Kate RIS clone, Russian River APA clone, Dominion Oak Barrel Stout

 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 09:49 PM   #18
SpanishCastleAle
 
SpanishCastleAle's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Jan 2009
Central Florida
Posts: 4,345
Liked 36 Times on 36 Posts


Well my Pils ended up being Amber because what I thought was CaraPils was...something way darker...like 90L or something. It will still taste and look good but it ain't what I was shooting for.
__________________
Early brewers were primarily women, mostly because it was deemed a woman's job. Mesopotamian men, of some 3,800 years ago, were obviously complete assclowns and had yet to realize the pleasure of brewing beer.- Beer Advocate

bradsul Likes This 
Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 02:38 PM   #19
jimba009
Recipes 
 
Sep 2008
Capital City, OH
Posts: 317
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts


bradsul, i have some american vienna. do you think this would work or should i snag some german or belgian?
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Homercidal View Post
I use it as punishment for the old lady when she is feeling in the mood. Fun and effective.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 02:43 PM   #20
bradsul
Flyfisherman/brewer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
 
bradsul's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Sep 2006
Ontario, Canada
Posts: 4,898
Liked 32 Times on 25 Posts


While I'm sure there are subtle differences in taste, I imagine it would be great no matter what kind of vienna you use.
__________________
Brad
Canadian Brewers Unite!


Projects: Sylvania Kegerator Conversion, Tower Cooling, Grain Milling Station

 
Reply With Quote
Reply
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
First lager recipe - Vienna lager RayZab Recipes/Ingredients 5 01-19-2016 01:18 PM
Vienna lager/ale pseudo lager? NickThoR General Techniques 16 11-23-2014 08:40 AM
Vienna Lager blefferd Recipes/Ingredients 3 03-27-2013 12:35 PM
Vienna lager with California lager yeast? phenry Recipes/Ingredients 4 09-09-2011 03:12 PM
Seeking amber lager/Vienna Lager? ben_j8mmin Recipes/Ingredients 10 08-21-2008 03:21 PM


Forum Jump