Spotted Cow Extract Clone Help / Challenge...Will Donate $25 to HomeBrewTalk

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Badger39

Reaction score
Just as the title states. I moved away from Wisc. and am going through withdrawl from Spotted Cow.

So here is the challenge, who thinks they can best duplicate Spotted Cow.

Ive found a couple of recipes, but they are not true extract recipes, and I do not have the resources (equipment wise), and I can not go all grain at this time. If anyone has a good extract recipe for Spotted Cow Ill put my money where my mouth is and donate $25 bucks in your name to HomeBrewTalk.

So help me and help the forum!

I've had it several time while on business trips to Madison. I know a guy who knows a guy who works there. If noone else knows, I'll see what I can find out...

I appreciate that you would be willing to look into it for me if this doesn't work out.

On a side note, I'm quite jealous of your HERMS set up, its a wet dream of mine to construct something of that magnitude in the near future. Hopefully after Im out of grad school in a year and move into the new place Ill have more space to dedicate to my full time obsession. But babysteps first, new place, all grain, then build my dream machine.

I did an AG last week. Its going to be a few weeks yet before I can compare.
Here is the recipe I used.

[size=-1]BeerSmith Recipe Printout - BeerSmith Brewing Software, Recipes, Blog, Wiki and Discussion Forum[/size]
[size=+2]Recipe: Mupbottom Cream Ale (Spotted Cow Clone)[/size]
Brewer: Matt
Asst Brewer:
Style: Cream Ale
TYPE: All Grain
Taste: (35.0)

Recipe Specifications

Batch Size: 5.50 gal
Boil Size: 6.50 gal
Estimated OG: 1.048 SG
Estimated Color: 5.6 SRM
Estimated IBU: 16.1 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 75.00 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
Code:
Amount        Item                                      Type         % or IBU      
6 lbs         Pale Ale Malt 2-Row (Briess) (3.5 SRM)    Grain        62.31 %       
1 lbs 8.0 oz  Corn, Flaked (1.3 SRM)                    Grain        15.58 %       
1 lbs         Maris Otter (Crisp) (4.0 SRM)             Grain        10.38 %       
10.1 oz       Barley, Flaked (Briess) (1.7 SRM)         Grain        6.54 %        
8.0 oz        Caramel Malt - 20L (Briess) (20.0 SRM)    Grain        5.19 %        
1.00 oz       Crystal [3.50 %]  (60 min)                Hops         11.7 IBU      
0.75 oz       Crystal [3.50 %]  (15 min)                Hops         4.4 IBU       
0.25 tsp      Irish Moss (Boil 15.0 min)                Misc                       
1 Pkgs        American Ale (Wyeast Labs #1056)          Yeast-Ale

Mash Schedule: Single Infusion, Light Body, Batch Sparge
Total Grain Weight: 9.63 lb
Code:
Single Infusion, Light Body, Batch Sparge
Step Time     Name               Description                         Step Temp     
90 min        Mash In            Add 12.04 qt of water at 167.3 F    152.0 F
Notes:

Matt, the recipe looks like others I have seen, so hopefully it turns out for you. The problem for me is that I don't know how to covert an AG to extract, can anyone help me do the conversion of this recipe?

Again, thanks to all and your help!

Im coming to that same conclusion. Regardless, I appreciate all the help, and if the beer turns out well Ill have to keep up my end of the bargian.

Im coming to that same conclusion. Regardless, I appreciate all the help, and if the beer turns out well Ill have to keep up my end of the bargian.

You can definitely do a partial mash in a grain bag, though, so it would be just like an extract recipe with steeping grains. Let us know if you need help with the conversion.

You could also consider using rice syrup solids they can just be added like DME. The corn/rice should not contribute any flavor so they can be used interchangeable.

Ill do the leg work and work out the conversion after the Packer game (thank god for Sunday Ticket), hell, I need to learn how to do it some day. Ill post what I come up with to see if you guys think it looks good.

I didn't know that about the rice syrup, and Ill also look to see how that could affect the recipe, but maybe its just me, but it seems like you can taste the 'corniness' in the taste of spotted cow, though its not overpowering.

Again, thanks for the responses, the knowledge on this board is part of the reason why I posted my question here, lots of seasoned vets willing to help newer brewers like me.

Looking at the recipe that was provided, the non-enzymatic items used are:
8 oz. Raw barley
4 oz. Flaked corn
4 oz. Dextrine malt (Cara-Pils)

To covert the sugars your supposed to mash it with enzymatic grains (type 1 or 2), but his recpe apparently doesn't call for any type one or two grains (I think)? So to make this an extract version would I want to add some two row (which is enzymatic) to help convert it? Am I on ethe right track?

I know how to covert the rest to DME, but the other grains are straining my knowledge! Or would symply subsitituting the flaked corn with rice syrup take care of the (eg: mash the barley, cara pils, and rice solids?) Any advice?

Looking at the recipe that was provided, the non-enzymatic items used are:
8 oz. Raw barley
4 oz. Flaked corn
4 oz. Dextrine malt (Cara-Pils)

To covert the sugars your supposed to mash it with enzymatic grains (type 1 or 2), but his recpe apparently doesn't call for any type one or two grains (I think)? So to make this an extract version would I want to add some two row (which is enzymatic) to help convert it? Am I on ethe right track?

I know how to covert the rest to DME, but the other grains are straining my knowledge! Or would symply subsitituting the flaked corn with rice syrup take care of the (eg: mash the barley, cara pils, and rice solids?) Any advice?

Using that recipe, I'd mash the raw barley, corn, carapils, and munich together along with 2 pounds of 2-row. You can mash ("steep") that in a grain bag in 6.5 quarts of water at 153 degrees for 45 minutes to an hour, dunking the bag often. Lift the grain bag out, and pour 2.5 gallons of 170 degree water over it (you can use a colander and put the grain bag right in the colander while you do this over the pot). I've never heard of using raw barley before, though, to be honest. I'd use flaked barley in this case.

Then, you could add the DME and boil as usual. That would give you about a 3 gallon boil.

Yooper, thanks for the help, Il be picking up the ingredients today and Ill let yall know how it turns out!

Any updates? I am culturing the Spotted Cow yeast right now, and hope to be working out a good clone in the next few batches.

Let me know how your clones have turned out.

Thanks,

Anyone have success with this? I'm planning on picking up what I need today to brew Saturday, wondering how it turned out for others.

Yooper, you mention in one of the posts from 9-14-08 to mash some munich with the grains, but I don't see how much. Also how much DME should be added for the boil? Thanks in advance for the help!

Here is my conversion to extract. Read the notes section for the procedure.

BeerSmith Recipe Printout - http://www.beersmith.com
Recipe: Spotted Cow (extract)
Brewer: Justin Stewart Talbot
Style: Kolsch
TYPE: Extract

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size: 5.00 gal
Boil Size: 6.14 gal
Estimated OG: 1.045 SG
Estimated Color: 4.2 SRM
Estimated IBU: 18.9 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: - %

Ingredients:
------------
Amount Item Type % or IBU
4 lbs 12.6 oz Extra Light Dry Extract (3.0 SRM) Dry Extract 61.91 %
1 lbs 7.8 oz Corn, Flaked (1.3 SRM) Grain 19.28 %
10.0 oz Pale Malt (6 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 8.09 %
7.2 oz Munich 10L (Briess) (10.0 SRM) Grain 5.81 %
6.1 oz Barley, Flaked (Briess) (1.7 SRM) Grain 4.92 %
1.26 oz Hallertauer Hersbrucker [4.00 %] (60 min)Hops 18.9 IBU
0.50 items Whirlfloc Tablet (Boil 15.0 min) Misc
1 Pkgs Kolsch Yeast (Wyeast Labs #2565) [Starter Yeast-Ale

Mash Schedule: None
Total Grain Weight: 6.91 lb
----------------------------
Steep grains as desired (30-60 minutes)

Notes:
------
The day before brewday prepare a 1L (1quart) starter by adding 100 grams of light DME to 1000mL of water, bring to boil for 15 minutes, cool in sink to 70º, then pitch smack pack. Aerate by shaking as often as possible until brewday.

On brew day: In your main brew kettle, steep Munich malt with 2 quarts of water in a large grain bag at 155º. While the Munich is steeping, in a separate kettle (cereal kettle), combine the corn, flaked barley, 6-row, and 4 quarts (1 gallon) of water and bring to 155º. After a 10 minute rest, slowly bring the cereal kettle to a boil. Boil for 30 minutes. Then dump the cereal mash into the grain bag holding the Munich malt in your main kettle. Mix well within the bag and make sure the water seeps through the whole thing.

Lift the grain bag out of the water, and fill the kettle to the largest pre-boil volume your kettle can handle by pouring the water slowly through the grains int he lifted bag. This will rinse the sugars out of the grain and into the kettle. If you have a smaller kettle, use Fermcap-S to avoid boil overs and increase your boil volume.

Bring the kettle to boil. Remove kettle from heat, stir in half the DME. Bring back to boil and start boil timer. Add hops as directed. At 15 minutes remaining in the boil, add the remaining DME and half a Whirlfloc tablet along with some yeast nutrient.

Cool to pitching temps (68º) via ice bath or whatever. Pitch entire yeast starter. Ferment at 68º actual fermentation temperature (likely about 62º ambient). After fermentation is complete (about 7 days), cold crash to 32º or as cold as you can.

In 14 days, bottle keg or do whatever you like. Wait for conditioning and enjoy!

This should drop in gravity to about 1.008 ish or at least 1.010. A good starter and plenty of O2 at the start of fermentation are important to dry this beer out.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Awesome! Thanks for the recipe, can't wait to get after it!

When did you make it? How'd it turn out?

Haven't made it, will be soon though. I will be brewing an all-grain version of it. I think the grains are going to be very close, but predict that the hop flavor will need tweaking. Should be good.

I'll let you know.

OK sounds good, thanks for helping with the extract version. I found an AG recipe yesterday but I haven't made the jump to AG yet, but will plan to make a mash tun soon to be able to get there.

I'll let you know how the extract version goes...will be brewing Saturday. Thanks again!

So I could follow your recipe if I don't have all grain equipment?

I do have 2 brew kettles, just not all-grain size!

Gladly. Again, I haven't brewed these yet.

BeerSmith Recipe Printout - http://www.beersmith.com
Recipe: Spotted Cow
TYPE: All Grain

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size: 4.00 gal
Boil Size: 5.02 gal
Estimated OG: 1.049 SG
Estimated Color: 4.2 SRM
Estimated IBU: 18.2 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 65.00 %

Ingredients:
------------
Amount Item Type % or IBU
5 lbs 3.2 oz Pilsen Malt 2-Row (Briess) (1.0 SRM) Grain 63.41 %
1 lbs Barley, Flaked (Briess) (1.7 SRM) Grain 12.20 %
1 lbs Corn, Flaked (1.3 SRM) Grain 12.20 %
16.0 oz Munich 10L (Briess) (10.0 SRM) Grain 12.20 %
1.00 oz Hallertauer Hersbrucker [4.00 %] (60 min)Hops 18.2 IBU
0.50 items Whirlfloc Tablet (Boil 15.0 min) Misc
1 Pkgs Kolsch Yeast (Wyeast Labs #2565) [Starter Yeast-Ale

Mash Schedule: My Mash
Total Grain Weight: 8.20 lb
----------------------------
My Mash
Step Time Name Description Step Temp
60 min Sacc rest Add 12.30 qt of water at 161.7 F 152.0 F

Again this is for a 4g batch, use the scale function to up it to 5g.

View attachment Spotted_Cow_AG.bsm

Boerderij thanks for the partial mash recipe! I brewed it Saturday so now looking forward to the first tasting! I'll let you know how it turns out.

I will be following this closely... just came back from Milwaukee and brought 2 cases of the cow back with me. My friends love it, but getting it shipped here would be a PITA.

BK - ur the man, and were right, the NB store on Greenfield is pretty sweet. I spent a good chunk of time in there last Saturday looking around for stuff to blow my GC on.

So, i am going to brew this this weekend.

How critical is the cold crashing? And, once it drops to 32, do I take it out and let it set the remaining 2 weeks (secondary)

The cold crashing just speeds up the clearing. It isn't totally necessary. If you have fridge space, drop it to 32 and leave it there for a couple days at least. Then rack, bottle, whatever. You cold crash after fermentation to drop all the yeast and anything else in suspension, including proteins and other hazes.

Back