Adding Water after boil

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

slugdoug

Reaction score
I am brewing a batch today and got to wondering if I need to do anything to the water I am using to bring my batch to 5 gallons. I am boiling 2 gallons and making my wort and then have 3 gallons of bottled water to add. Previously I have just poured the water directly from the plastic jug into my fermenter and have had no problems but got to thinking this may not be the best practice. I know that over thinking in this hobby is not the best thing but when it comes to being sterile I really try a little harder. Any help would be greatly appreciated as usual.

i had the same thoughts brewing my first batch. however, after all the reading and talking to several guys at the local homebrew shop, you can continue with tap water or you can use spring water.

i had thought to boil 3 gallons worth of water in pots (lidded, of course) and then cool them in a fridge to use for the brew but i was told by many people this was excessive and a waste of time.

You'll be just fine pouring the un-opened bottled water into the fermenter. That's what I did with every extract batch and I never had a problem. Pretty much all bottled water is filtered, which will get rid of any nasties.

Thanks, that's what I figured but thought I would check before Making a big mistake. I say mistake, this is going to be my 4th batch and I just know thought to ask. Time to brew.

The tap water in my county has an extremely high algae content and tastes like dirt. I cannot use it in beer unless I boil the crap out of it, or filter it, or both. Right now I have a Pur filter on my tap that does a pretty good job of filtering out the nasty but I boil anyway because I'm hopelessly paranoid...

I use tap water for my boil and RO/DI water for my additional. I hope it kind equals out to medium hardness.

Back