Coldbreak Brewing HERMS Giveaway!

HomeBrewSupply AMCYL Brew Kettle Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > The Smell of Autolysis

Old 09-13-2008, 07:14 PM   #1
BarleyWater
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default The Smell of Autolysis

Smells like a mixture of dirty ballsack, vomit and a hint of mildew thrown in.

I went to the LHBS a few days ago and got a batch of beer. As I was checking out, the gut says to me that they have a special going on, and I can get 2 packets of saflager for the price of one. I was going to use the WLP830, but the saflager is the same strain, so I figures why not save a couple bucks and the trouble of a starter?

Well, I proofed the yeast, and started noticing an odd smell, oh well yeast smells odd sometimes so I think nothing of it. The yeast looked to be alright, but not getting as active as a lot of dry yeasts. So along comes pitching temp and I take the foil off the top of the yeast and GOOD LORD, I have never smelled something so awful. It was like getting slapped by a sweaty sock filled with death. I examined it and could tell that perhaps one of the two packets I received had probably not done much at all, and appeared dead. It had been packed by the LHBS from a bulk pack, and had no date on it anywhere, so who knows what may have happened to it.

Moral of the story, never buy yeast on sale, there's probably a reason they're trying to get rid of it.

Fermenting: Nada
On Tap:Cran Wit, Dr Pepper Dubbel, Cascadian Pale Ale, Dark Chocolate Stout, Imperial Stout, Brown Mild, Schwarzbier
On Board: IIPA

www.franconiabrewing.com

Old 09-13-2008, 07:20 PM   #2
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 4 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1301 Times on 855 Posts
Likes Given: 35

I had that happen to a 10 gallon batch. The krausen smelled like that. Believe it or not, the beer actually came out right after a 3-week lagering.

Old 09-13-2008, 07:27 PM   #3
BarleyWater
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Hopefully this one will too, since some of the yeast was viable, I decided to pitch any way. Fermentation started within 24 hours, so hopefully with a long lagering period (was already planning on 4-6 weeks) it will be fine. Maybe the dead cells will provide nutrients to the live ones.

Fermenting: Nada
On Tap:Cran Wit, Dr Pepper Dubbel, Cascadian Pale Ale, Dark Chocolate Stout, Imperial Stout, Brown Mild, Schwarzbier
On Board: IIPA

www.franconiabrewing.com