!!!!utah!!!!! - Page 3 - Home Brew Forums
Register Now For Free!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > Drunken Ramblings and Mindless Mumbling > !!!!utah!!!!!

Old 09-13-2008, 05:55 AM   #21
dp69_2001
Recipes 

May 2008
Richfield, UT.
Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Oh and again. Article and picture were borrowed from Utah Beer he is a master of ****ed up utah alcohol ****. But, he does a lot of articles about cool and funny **** too

Old 09-13-2008, 06:13 AM   #22
EvilTOJ

Recipes 

Dec 2005
Portland, OR, Oregon
Liked 50 Times on 35 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duckfoot View Post
If it weren't for Park City and their BEAUTIFUL ski / snowboarding amenities, I would have never gone to Utah in the first place...
That's where I grew up, and probably the only reason people don't ask me what ward I'm in today

Old 09-13-2008, 06:16 AM   #23
dp69_2001
Recipes 

May 2008
Richfield, UT.
Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilTOJ View Post
That's where I grew up, and probably the only reason people don't ask me what ward I'm in today
I find it's best to hang a pentagram somewhere inside that is just visible from outside the apartment.

Old 09-14-2008, 04:39 AM   #24
blackfin
Recipes 

Sep 2008
Meridian, Idaho, Idaho

I feel for ya, we have a large mormon population here in Idaho as well. Thankfully the laws are not nearly that bad here, but the influence from the church is definetly there. At least you have found the way to free yourself from the laws of the church. Keep on brewing!!!!!!!

Old 09-15-2008, 02:54 PM   #25
Homercidal
Licensed Sensual Massage Therapist.
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Feb 2008
Reed City, MI
Liked 5012 Times on 3383 Posts

Seems to me that if enough people wanted the laws to change, they would elect people into office to change the laws. Until then, the majority seems to want things they way they are.

Old 09-15-2008, 03:15 PM   #26
EdWort
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Jul 2006
Bee Cave, Texas
Liked 342 Times on 169 Posts

Lived in Utah for 5 years. Would still be there if it were not for the Mormans. They drove my wife batty with discrimination in the neighborhood and at school.

I have several Morman friends, but they are a very tight knit group in Utah and their legislature is rife with them. Most are pretty good people, but I have met a number of douchbag Mormans too.

Just remember, it's good to have a Morman with you when you go out drinking.

Old 09-15-2008, 04:35 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by MNBugeater View Post
Please pardon my ignorance and no I am not bashing any religion...

But is this due to the Morman influence in Utah and if so, what happened to seperation of Church and State?
It's not a matter of seperation of church and state. This isn't an official decree by the LDS church, it's a matter of the residents of Utah getting the kind of government, and laws, that they want. Just as residents of very liberal states vote for generous public assistance programs and ambitious public works projects, and are willing to pay the high taxes that support such programs, residents of conservative states have different priorities. Utah is just a little more conservative in their views on alcohol consumption. Just as EdWort did, people move if they don't feel comfortable.

It's a beautiful state with some very good people but there's no way I'd live there because of their alcohol laws. There are just as many people who don't care for, or who are opposed to, alcohol that are willing to live there.

One of our members (I don't remember who) is missing the GABF this year to vacation in Moab. I've been there a couple of time, most recently a couple of months ago, and was unhappy with the fact that locally produced beers were mandated by the state to remain under 3.2% (the same breweries can produce higher alcohol version for export). However I felt that the trip was worth it for the stunning scenery - I brought my own alcohol and I was gone within a week. Yes, I'll likely return but I won't be living there.

Old 09-15-2008, 05:43 PM   #28
Apollo
Recipes 

Aug 2008
Raleigh, NC Area
Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

When I was moving out of Oregon ~4 years ago a similar law was passed. Manufacturers were in the process of reformulating drinks like Mikes Hard lemonade and other malt beverages to remain on grocery store shelves. I don't know what ended up happening, but that is just what I remember going on. So... if they did reformulate, a Mikes lemonade in Oregon is different from a Mikes lemonade in the rest of the country.

Old 09-15-2008, 06:20 PM   #29
EvilTOJ

Recipes 

Dec 2005
Portland, OR, Oregon
Liked 50 Times on 35 Posts

As a longtime Oregon resident, Apollo, I'm going to have to call bullshiet. I've never heard of them doing anything like that here, and anyone can buy Mike's Hard Lemonade at the grocery store. You may be thinking of the oregon distributors wanting to have more control over the distribution of beer, but if they tried to move malt liquor to grocery stores there'd be riots in the streets.

Old 09-15-2008, 08:01 PM   #30
Apollo
Recipes 

Aug 2008
Raleigh, NC Area
Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

At some point in time around 2002-2003 the Oregon Liquor Control Commission placed a ban on beverages with more than 0.5% distilled alcohol. The state legislature stepped up overturned that decision before it could go into affect in late June/early July 2003. The articles I found just say that the bill (House bill 3130) the legislature passed was going to Kulongoski for signing. I did not search further than 5 mins to find out if the gov signed that bill or not. I assume he did since malt bevs are still on the shelf.

I do remember hearing news segments at the time and thinking to myself "what's the big deal."

do a google search for malternative ban +oregon to find the same articles.