!!!!utah!!!!! - Home Brew Forums

Register Now!
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > Drunken Ramblings and Mindless Mumbling > !!!!utah!!!!!

Old 09-12-2008, 04:29 PM   #1
dp69_2001
Recipes 

May 2008
Richfield, UT.
Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Friday, September 12, 2008

Prohibition is Back!

This is just another example of why it's a bad idea to have non-drinkers regulating what they don't understand. The state of Utah has inadvertently introduced a de facto ban on flavored malt beverages, beers and ales. On Oct. 1, flavored malt beverages, such as Smirnoff Ice, Jack Daniel's Original Hard Cola and Bacardi Silver, must be off grocery store shelves and moved to state-controlled liquor outlets. But it's unlikely any of the products will be available in state liquor outlets by the Oct. 1 deadline.

"All Anheuser-Busch flavored malt beverages will no longer be available in Utah," said Michael Brennan, president of General Distributing Co., the state's largest beer distributor. "I don't think the public understands that 3.2 flavored beverages will be gone." The new law also targets traditional beers and ales containing flavorings such as apricot or raspberry.

So basically, If you enjoy a lager or ale that is flavored with food extracts made with distilled alcohol. It's unlikely that Utah distributors will continue to carry them. Why? It's problematic for manufacturers to comply with a bevy of regulations from a single state, particularly when the product is part of a national distribution chain and a small niche in the beer industry. It leads one to suspect that many companies may have some reluctance to incur all these additional expenses that Utah regulators are levying on them. If this is what the Utah Legislature and the governor wanted to accomplish, they've done it.

Note: this only applies to beverages that contain extracts. Malt beverages and beers that are made with "real fruit" do not fall under this this new ****ed-up regulation. Thank God for small favors...

*Picture and article borrowed from http://utahbeer.blogspot.com/

Old 09-12-2008, 06:58 PM   #2
McKBrew

Recipes 

Oct 2006
Hayden, Idaho
Liked 35 Times on 30 Posts

It is unbelievable that some states still have/support such Draconian liquor laws. WA has some weird ones, even with beer being as big as it is here, but nothing like Utah or Alabama.

Old 09-12-2008, 07:04 PM   #3
dp69_2001
Recipes 

May 2008
Richfield, UT.
Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by McKBrew View Post
It is unbelievable that some states still have/support such Draconian liquor laws. WA has some weird ones, even with beer being as big as it is here, but nothing like Utah or Alabama.
It is retarded. I don't really drink any malt beverages. Or purchase any alcoholic beverages except the occasional 12 pack of PBR (when I run out of homebrew). But, this is still the lamest thing I've heard today.

Old 09-12-2008, 07:32 PM   #4
billtzk
Recipes 

Apr 2007
Dallas
Liked 23 Times on 21 Posts

I thought homebrewing wasn't legal in UT either. Am I wrong?

Old 09-12-2008, 07:51 PM   #5
dp69_2001
Recipes 

May 2008
Richfield, UT.
Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by billtzk View Post
I thought homebrewing wasn't legal in UT either. Am I wrong?
You are correct.

Old 09-12-2008, 08:00 PM   #6
Tankard

Recipes 

Oct 2007
Santa Barbara

They'll attack real beer next. It's just not a good idea to live in Utah if you enjoy drinking.

Homebrewing is illegal too, but I lived there, and I had no access to good beer in the stores, I'd be brewing all the time.

Old 09-12-2008, 08:00 PM   #7
Professor Frink

Recipes 

Sep 2006
San Diego, CA
Liked 19 Times on 16 Posts

Ridiculous. It amazes me how arbitrary some states alcohol laws are. I went to college where they made the law that you could only buy cases of beer, not 6 or 12 packs, at beer stores, as if this would cut down on drinking. So we just bought more beer.

I'm out in San Diego right now, and it's so weird seeing liquor being sold at the supermarket, but I think it's great. Who is the government to say where I need to go to buy vodka versus wine versus beer?
On tap:Amber Ale
Milk Stout

Lagering:

http://www.lazydogbrewery.com

Old 09-12-2008, 08:02 PM   #8
bru-er
Recipes 

Mar 2008
ABQ, NM

Spent 3 - painful weeks for work in SLC this summer. The state stores close at 7pm, the beer is not chilled, and it is expensive as all get out. I guess that state is just wierd. The funny thing most people "import" their own. I guess the funniest thing was we wanted to get a pizza and take it back the the hotel. We figured we could have a brew while waiting - nope have to eat in the dining room. We sat down ordered three pizzas, three beers, and three to go boxes.

Old 09-12-2008, 08:18 PM   #9
billtzk
Recipes 

Apr 2007
Dallas
Liked 23 Times on 21 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tankard View Post
They'll attack real beer next. It's just not a good idea to live in Utah if you enjoy drinking.
No, it's not a good idea to let other people tell you what you can and can't do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tankard View Post
Homebrewing is illegal too, but I lived there, and I had no access to good beer in the stores, I'd be brewing all the time.
Your resolve and the OPs admission of homebrewing while living in UT support my theory that people who support government and the rule of law generally believe that laws are necessary to regulate the behavior of "the other guy" and do not apply to themselves.

I congratulate the OP on finding such a suitable image to pay homage to the State.

Old 09-12-2008, 09:46 PM   #10
MNBugeater

Recipes 

Jan 2006
Minneapolis, MN
Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts

Please pardon my ignorance and no I am not bashing any religion...

But is this due to the Morman influence in Utah and if so, what happened to seperation of Church and State?