Coldbreak Brewing HERMS Giveaway!

HomeBrewSupply AMCYL Brew Kettle Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Using priming sugar and kegs?

Old 09-11-2008, 09:00 PM   #1
MCH
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Using priming sugar and kegs?

In my quest for kegging equipment, I have purchased 2 cornies. I have plans to purchase the C02 bottle, regulator and hoses, but don't have the funds right now.

My question: If I know that I will have the equipment in a couple of weeks, would it be OK to use priming sugar and carbonate my beer in one of the kegs?? Then when I do get the equipment, hook the hoses up and be ready to go??

I'm 100% sure that I'll be getting the equipment before October 1st and I will have a batch of Brown Ale ready to carbonate in about a week or so.

You see every drink of liquor you take kills a thousand brain cells. Now that doesn't much matter 'cos we got billions more. And first the sadness cells die so you smile real big. And then the quiet cells go so you just say everything real loud for no reason at all. That'ok, that's ok because the stupid cells go next, so everything you say is real smart. And finally, come the memory cells. These are tough SOBs to kill.

Old 09-11-2008, 09:06 PM   #2
A4J
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 30 Times on 25 Posts
Likes Given: 15

I carbonate all my beers in the keg. Just make sure you use half the amount of priming sugar solution

My mid-century modern keezer build thread.

Old 09-11-2008, 09:07 PM   #3
DD2000GT
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Sure you can. Use 1/3 cup of corn sugar boiled in water for 5 minutes for a 5 gallon keg, then add the beer from the fermenter. If your seals are a bit old, you may have a problem keeping the seal until the psi gets up to 5 lbs. or so. I am sugar priming my keg - not because I have to, but because getting my CO2 tank refilled is a major PITA so I conserve whenever possible.

Dan

Old 09-11-2008, 09:09 PM   #4
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 6032 Times on 4301 Posts
Likes Given: 1555

If you use some keg lube on the seals and orings, that will go a long way to help the keg seal without a shot of co2.

Follow me on facebook: https://www.facebook.com/lorena.t.evans
But I'm pretty boring so don't expect much!
https://www.facebook.com/lorena.t.evans