Coldbreak Brewing HERMS Giveaway!

HomeBrewSupply AMCYL Brew Kettle Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brew Market > Sampling and Critiquing and Beer Swapping > Interest in a Historic Beer Swap?

Old 09-11-2008, 03:39 AM   #1
KingBrianI
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 92 Times on 62 Posts
Likes Given: 17

Default Interest in a Historic Beer Swap?

A couple of threads lately have made me start thinking about trying to produce some historic ale. Something unhopped and based on an old medieval or renaissance recipe. There seems to be very little info available but enough to make a reasonably accurate attempt at it. It would be great if a few other people were also interested so we could all swap our creations to see what works and what doesn't. Something about creating a brew that could have been enjoyed by people 600 years ago is deeply appealing to me. A bit like reliving history or something. Anyway lets see if we can get a list together and start discussing recipes/gruits and the rest.

Old 09-11-2008, 03:48 AM   #2
talleym0nster
Recipes 

Word. I'm in. I really like how Orfy did his experiment, with no measurements whatsoever. No timers. No Automated Systems (John Beere). Just a couple handfuls of grain, a fistfull of hops and a little creativity.

Old 09-11-2008, 05:40 PM   #3
Bob
Recipes 

Liked 133 Times on 100 Posts
Likes Given: 36

I'm in. I've got a bit of a library on the subject (my wife would call that "understatement to the point of bullsh!t").

Seriously, I've got recipes, redactions and research coming out the wazoo. There's not a lot out there, but there's more than you'd think.

Some people like to specialize their brewing, creating things like spontaneously fermented Belgian-style funk machines. I like historical brewing.

Let me think on it for a coupla days.

Cheers,

Bob

Old 09-11-2008, 05:45 PM   #4
flyangler18
Recipes 

Liked 34 Times on 31 Posts
Likes Given: 5

I'm shamefully unaware of many of the old brewing resources (time to bone up)- but this sounds like a really fascinating exercise.

Old 09-11-2008, 06:31 PM   #5
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2874 Times on 1699 Posts
Likes Given: 3511

Hmmm, I have nothing historical on the burner right now...I was kinda going to wait til winter to play with some of the Gilgamesh/King Midas/Hymn to Ninkasi recipes I've been collecting....But I like this idea...

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 09-11-2008, 07:44 PM   #6
Orfy
For the love of beer!
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 77 Times on 57 Posts
Likes Given: 30

I'm in.

I'm gonna build a small set up when I get chance so I can do some 2.5 gallon batches over wood.

Old 09-11-2008, 11:23 PM   #7
Danek
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 11 Posts

Cool! I've been doing some experiments with non-barley grains, flours and fruits to see what fermentables you can get out of them, as an attempt to approximate the bappir bread that the Sumerians used. I did a couple of very small trial batches to see which non-hop flavorings would work best (juniper, mustard and saffron worked well together), but nothing with the twice-baked bread that I've seen listed in the historical sources. This sounds like a good excuse to pull my finger out and go full historic.

Old 09-11-2008, 11:40 PM   #8
bsay
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

If a recipe or guidelines are provided, I'm in. I know nothing about historic brews, but I love going to the renaissance festival. What I don't like is that all they seem to have on tap is BMC! I want some real renaissance beer!

This month I'm going all-grain on a 2.5 gal indoor system (apartments are fun). Though, depending on when we're brewing, I could possible brew over wood on a cabin trip.

Who says you can't brew all-grain indoors?
Brewing 2.5 gal batches with a 2gal cooler MLT in my cramped apartment. Pictures coming soon!

Ask me about my Keezer/2.5 gal brew setup!

Old 09-11-2008, 11:55 PM   #9
k1v1116
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

is this limited to beer? or would something like a naturally fermented wine/mead be applicable?
for beer would we have to malt our own grain, malts from that long ago were a lot less modified than today's malts.

Old 09-12-2008, 12:41 AM   #10
KingBrianI
Recipes 

Liked 92 Times on 62 Posts
Likes Given: 17

Looks like we're getting a good amount of interest in a swap. Chad posted several good link in http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f14/beer...history-79838/. The link about "opening the closet..." has a LOT of renaissance mead or "meathe" as he calls it recipes but also some ale recipes and other good info. The gruit revival link has several gruit recipes. Let's start throwing around recipes and ideas. I think it would be great if everyone did something slightly different so that we could find out what works and what doesn't.