Alright, get up, stop playing on the machine and GTFO - Page 3 - Home Brew Forums

Register Now!
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > Drunken Ramblings and Mindless Mumbling > Alright, get up, stop playing on the machine and GTFO

Old 09-10-2008, 05:18 PM   #21
Soulive

Recipes 

Mar 2007
The Middle of NJ
Liked 25 Times on 25 Posts

There are idiots everywhere you go. The gym, the movies, the mall, the beach, the post office, any & every roadway, etc. I agree with your rant, but if I let all the idiots get to me I'd probably snap. I mean I'm sure some of them are nice people, but they're ignant. My latest one is with the surfer posers. There are the ones who float around in the water on their boards, never catching any waves but making enough of an attempt to make you eat **** on the same wave. Then there are the other ones who take their boards everywhere, but always complain the waves suck so they're not getting in the water. Posers are everywhere!

===================
Green Lane Brewing
===================

Primary = Evan!'s Special Bitter
On Deck = EdWort's Porter / American Amber

EdWort's Haus Pale Ale Count

Old 09-10-2008, 06:16 PM   #22
PseudoChef

Recipes 

Apr 2007
West Chicago 'Burbs, IL
Liked 110 Times on 81 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by phissionkorps View Post
That all kind of depends. Using that long "squat" bar is far superior to the bars with the weights welded/bolted on that are for curls, not only in the way they work your biceps, but you can fine tune the weight much better. Usually the welded/bolted on ones only go up every 10lbs, which is a hell of a lot at a time for biceps.
We have adjustable weights for this as well as 3 preacher curl benches to go with them in a separate area of the gym.

Quote:
I see you've never heard of dumbbell or pistol squats....
I do suitcase squats and other things - but I don't want to have to do them every time.

Old 09-10-2008, 06:41 PM   #23
ScubaSteve
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

May 2007
New Bern, NC
Liked 83 Times on 57 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by schneemann View Post
there's only one way to do squats, unless you're a fruit: with a barbell across your back.
Call me a passion fruit then

I don't know man, dumbell squats will make you puke in a hurry. Kind of a modified deadlift, but you can't bring your back into the fight. But that's neither here nor there.

I used to be pretty big into bodybuilding with some powerlifting thrown in. Loved it. Then I got into doing other stuff that was easier to sneak out at home with a wife and kid: RossTraining - Bridging The Gap Between Ordinary and Extraordinary Here's an example:

Ross Enamait is the shizznit. His training is no BS, and will force any toughguy to put his money where his mouth is. Trust me, look into this. His book Infinite Intensity incorporates weights, so you can still toss some iron around if you want. You will get in real functional shape in a hurry, you'll be blown away by what you can accomplish in 30 mins on a lunchbreak...and you won't have to deal with the douchebags

But that's neither here nor there

Old 09-10-2008, 06:51 PM   #24
Evan!

Recipes 

Aug 2006
Charlottesville, VA
Liked 87 Times on 72 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by PseudoChef View Post
Gym Law #1, man!

I know it's not just for squatting, but there's plenty of other places in my gym that accomodates 10K people to do them when it's busy. I can curl outside the squat rack, but I can't really squat outside of them.

Just don't run into someone wearing this:

As long as you're not using the gd Smith machine, now...
Ours looks a little more like this, except it's not connected at the top:

They're great for any number of exercises. Now, I agree that if someone's just using the squat rack for bicep curls because they don't feel like having to bend over to get the barbell in between sets, then, yeah, that's stupid. But like I said, there's really nowhere else I can correctly do restricted-ROM bench presses, etc. I hardly ever do restricted-ROM bicep curls, but when I do, I do 'em there.

And I use the smith machine for many things too---shoulder press, rows, bench press, squat. I'm not gonna refrain from using a machine that works best for the exercise I want to do just because someone else thinks that I should only be doing squats there. I'm not a douche about it, I just see no reason to curtail my workout regime because of someone else's preferences. Hell, look at Muscle & Fitness, man, they've always got great new moves that pay off, and they're not the "traditional" methods on the traditional machines. That's where I learned the progressive restricted-ROM bench presses...and they rock!

.planned:
•Scottish 80/- •Sweet Stout •Roggenbier
.primary | bright:
98: Moss Hollow Soured '09 72: Oude Kriek 99: B-Weisse 102: Brett'd BDSA 104: Feat of Strength Helles Bock 105: Merkin Brown
.on tap | kegged:
XX: Moss Hollow Springs Sparkling Water 95: Gott Mit Uns German Pils 91b: Brown Willie's Oaked Abbey Ale 103: Merkin Stout
98: Yorkshire Special 100: Maple Porter 89: Cidre Saison 101: Steffiweizen '09 (#3)

Old 09-10-2008, 06:58 PM   #25
ScubaSteve
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

May 2007
New Bern, NC
Liked 83 Times on 57 Posts

I like to call that a power rack.....

Old 09-10-2008, 07:04 PM   #26
DesertBrew
Dirty blonde
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Jan 2005
Twin Cities, MN
Liked 114 Times on 100 Posts

Cut those grunters a break. They needs to impress the babes at LA Fitness.

Click image for larger version

Name:	d4.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	33.8 KB
ID:	7599

Old 09-10-2008, 08:09 PM   #27
MikeFlynn74

Recipes 

Nov 2007
ANCHORAGE!!
Liked 19 Times on 17 Posts

While ROM stuff is good-

Nothing beats hard heavy lifting and the big three. Squats, Deadlifts and benchpress(incline for me)
Originally Posted by Tenchiro View Post
The successful have nobody to blame but themselves, I really wish they would take some responsibility for their own actions...

Old 09-10-2008, 09:04 PM   #28
phissionkorps
Recipes 

Aug 2008
Fort Worth, TX
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Eh preachers are overrated, and not the same as straight bar with that really long "squat" bar. Preacher curls are no substitute for straight bar with good form.

Old 09-10-2008, 09:12 PM   #29
blacklab

Recipes 

Nov 2007
Portland, ME
Liked 48 Times on 27 Posts

I hate the guys that grunt and groan for attention. Whenever I hear some big comic book style 'arrrgh' from across the gym, I turn around, and without fail it's some wussy douchebag and not the Arnold clone he thinks he is.

About six mos ago I quit the heavy stuff and started doing 60% of the weight with twice as many reps, circuit fashion. I lost 10 lbs of fat real quick.

Old 09-10-2008, 10:05 PM   #30
MikeFlynn74

Recipes 

Nov 2007
ANCHORAGE!!
Liked 19 Times on 17 Posts

Quote:
About six mos ago I quit the heavy stuff and started doing 60% of the weight with twice as many reps, circuit fashion. I lost 10 lbs of fat real quick.
Of course, more reps mean more calories burned. Good regimes have this incorporated, mine is hard and heavy 3x a month with 1x a month 75% and rep crazy. Its a great way to keep fat at bay as well as give yourself time lines.
Originally Posted by Tenchiro View Post
The successful have nobody to blame but themselves, I really wish they would take some responsibility for their own actions...