Alright, get up, stop playing on the machine and GTFO - Page 2 - Home Brew Forums
Register Now For Free!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > Drunken Ramblings and Mindless Mumbling > Alright, get up, stop playing on the machine and GTFO

Old 09-10-2008, 03:40 AM   #11
Brew-Happy
Recipes 

May 2008
Lubbock, Texas
Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by david_42 View Post
I always laughed at the idiots that set the step machines at max. and then hold onto the rails and flap their feet up & down.
The visual imagery on that one cracks me up! I think of a running duck for some reason!!:

Quote:
Now, Harry you must know all about Muggles, tell me, what exactly is the function of a rubber duck?
- Arthur Weasley

Old 09-10-2008, 05:24 AM   #12
DrinksWellWithOthers

Recipes 

May 2008
MA
Liked 27 Times on 25 Posts

My biggest peev at the gym is people taking their sweet ass time doing whatever they want while at station/bench/treadmill etc. I know you want a quick breather between sets but when you spend 5 minutes between each set scrolling through your mp3 player, checking something on your phone or just plain sitting there then **** or get off the pot! Or people that sit around on the cardio equipment while talking to a friend whose actually doing something and then gives you a dirty look when you ask them if they're going to be long because you'd like to use it. When I go in to the gym I know my routine and I get in and get out without trying to waste my time or anyone else's.

Old 09-10-2008, 05:34 AM   #13
cheeseshark

Recipes 

Mar 2008
Westland, MI
Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

How about the idiots who think its ok to use like 3 machines at once at like 5:00pm and then act irritated when you ask to work in? Sorry, but it's one machine at a time, especially at busy times.

Old 09-10-2008, 08:32 AM   #14
EvilTOJ

Recipes 

Dec 2005
Portland, OR, Oregon
Liked 50 Times on 35 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by McKBrew View Post
You do realize that the fine print for HBT says your only allowed 3 rants per year. You are using them up way too quick.
Evan! is already in hock for the Rant Deficit up to the year 2145 at the rate he's going.

Old 09-10-2008, 10:16 AM   #15
schneemann

Recipes 

Jun 2008
AA County, MD
Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Another gym pet peeve of mine are the people who leave dumbbells and plates laying around all over the place.
Drinkin - Bombsight Oatmeal Stout, 57 Minute IPA

Zazzle Crap | BombSight Brewery at CafePress | Brewstand Build | Schmidling MaltMill Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by HBHoss View Post
I, Hoss, hereby profess that Master shneemann holds all the answers and is right, even when wrong, and that I humble myself before his vastly superior intellect. :mug:

Old 09-10-2008, 10:41 AM   #16
Evan!

Recipes 

Aug 2006
Charlottesville, VA
Liked 88 Times on 73 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by PseudoChef View Post
Sqaut racks are not for curling. GTFO, and let me do a compound exercise that you're too ***** to try because you don't think working your legs is important. Douchie.
Bogus. I'm not sure if we're thinking of the same "squat racks" here (two sets of vertical posts on either side of you with an adjustable bar between them?), but if so, that's not just for squatting. I use it for:
  • bench pressing when I want to concentrate on a certain part of my ROM
  • seated barbell press/military press
  • bicep curls when I want to concentrate on a certain part of my ROM
  • squats
  • shrugs
  • barbell rows
  • deadlifts
  • stiff-leg deadlifts

using a rack to its full potential isn't being a pu$$y. And yes, it's good to concentrate on parts of your ROM individually sometimes.

but, then, maybe you're thinking of a different rack than I am.

.planned:
•Scottish 80/- •Sweet Stout •Roggenbier
.primary | bright:
98: Moss Hollow Soured '09 72: Oude Kriek 99: B-Weisse 102: Brett'd BDSA 104: Feat of Strength Helles Bock 105: Merkin Brown
.on tap | kegged:
XX: Moss Hollow Springs Sparkling Water 95: Gott Mit Uns German Pils 91b: Brown Willie's Oaked Abbey Ale 103: Merkin Stout
98: Yorkshire Special 100: Maple Porter 89: Cidre Saison 101: Steffiweizen '09 (#3)

Old 09-10-2008, 10:49 AM   #17
PseudoChef

Recipes 

Apr 2007
West Chicago 'Burbs, IL
Liked 110 Times on 81 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evan! View Post
Bogus. I'm not sure if we're thinking of the same "squat racks" here (two sets of vertical posts on either side of you with an adjustable bar between them?), but if so, that's not just for squatting. I use it for:
  • bench pressing when I want to concentrate on a certain part of my ROM
  • seated barbell press/military press
  • bicep curls when I want to concentrate on a certain part of my ROM
  • squats
  • shrugs
  • barbell rows
  • deadlifts
  • stiff-leg deadlifts

using a rack to its full potential isn't being a pu$$y. And yes, it's good to concentrate on parts of your ROM individually sometimes.

but, then, maybe you're thinking of a different rack than I am.

Gym Law #1, man!

I know it's not just for squatting, but there's plenty of other places in my gym that accomodates 10K people to do them when it's busy. I can curl outside the squat rack, but I can't really squat outside of them.

Just don't run into someone wearing this:

As long as you're not using the gd Smith machine, now...

Old 09-10-2008, 04:55 PM   #18
srm775
Recipes 

Aug 2007
IL
Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

It doesn't really bother me so much as I find if funny, but the huge muscle guys walking around my gym all have the tinyest little legs, completely disproportional. It alwasy cracks me up cause they look like a friggin' cartoon.

Old 09-10-2008, 05:11 PM   #19
phissionkorps
Recipes 

Aug 2008
Fort Worth, TX
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
I know it's not just for squatting, but there's plenty of other places in my gym that accomodates 10K people to do them when it's busy.
That all kind of depends. Using that long "squat" bar is far superior to the bars with the weights welded/bolted on that are for curls, not only in the way they work your biceps, but you can fine tune the weight much better. Usually the welded/bolted on ones only go up every 10lbs, which is a hell of a lot at a time for biceps.

Quote:
I can curl outside the squat rack, but I can't really squat outside of them.
I see you've never heard of dumbbell or pistol squats....

Old 09-10-2008, 05:18 PM   #20
schneemann

Recipes 

Jun 2008
AA County, MD
Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by phissionkorps View Post
I see you've never heard of dumbbell or pistol squats....
there's only one way to do squats, unless you're a fruit: with a barbell across your back.
Drinkin - Bombsight Oatmeal Stout, 57 Minute IPA

Zazzle Crap | BombSight Brewery at CafePress | Brewstand Build | Schmidling MaltMill Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by HBHoss View Post
I, Hoss, hereby profess that Master shneemann holds all the answers and is right, even when wrong, and that I humble myself before his vastly superior intellect. :mug: