Schneemann's Rant of the Week: Handicapped Parking - Home Brew Forums

Register Now!
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > Drunken Ramblings and Mindless Mumbling > Schneemann's Rant of the Week: Handicapped Parking

Old 09-09-2008, 12:34 PM   #1
schneemann

Recipes 

Jun 2008
AA County, MD
Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Apparently the state of MD now allows the mentally handicapped to park in the specially designated handicapped spaces in parking lots these days.

At least that's the impression I got yesterday as three clearly strong, able-bodied, construction workers got out of their life sized Hot Wheels car and piled into the local "Buffalo Wings and Beer" (which fails, BTW, to list specifically which beer they serve on the menu posted in their window).

Clearly, considering the driver's excellent walking ability and lack of any other visible sign of disability (and the fact that he was driving a work truck), the only reasonable conclusion is that his disability is mental in nature.

I, for one, applaud the state of Maryland for providing equal access to these specially designated parking spaces, regardless of disability and am happy to see that even idiots are treated fairly.
Drinkin - Bombsight Oatmeal Stout, 57 Minute IPA

Zazzle Crap | BombSight Brewery at CafePress | Brewstand Build | Schmidling MaltMill Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by HBHoss View Post
I, Hoss, hereby profess that Master shneemann holds all the answers and is right, even when wrong, and that I humble myself before his vastly superior intellect. :mug:

Old 09-09-2008, 12:45 PM   #2
EdWort
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Jul 2006
Bee Cave, Texas
Liked 338 Times on 169 Posts

Sounds like nothing a video from a cell phone can't fix. Show the handicapped idiot walking normally from his work truck parked in a special spot and send it to the DMV.

Old 09-09-2008, 12:50 PM   #3
Mirilis
Lvl 10 Beer Nerd

Recipes 

Feb 2008
Greenville, Ohio
Liked 124 Times on 87 Posts

Maybe he took the handicap pass from his grandmother or something. Im sure there are people like that.

Old 09-09-2008, 12:52 PM   #4
schneemann

Recipes 

Jun 2008
AA County, MD
Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirilis View Post
Maybe he took the handicap pass from his grandmother or something. Im sure there are people like that.
I see that all the time. I used to know a kid in HS whose brother was handicapped so they had the pass for when he was with them but this kid used to park in handicapped spots all the time even when his brother wasn't with him.

Zazzle Crap | BombSight Brewery at CafePress | Brewstand Build | Schmidling MaltMill Review

Quote:
I, Hoss, hereby profess that Master shneemann holds all the answers and is right, even when wrong, and that I humble myself before his vastly superior intellect. :mug:

Old 09-09-2008, 01:52 PM   #5
Mirilis
Lvl 10 Beer Nerd

Recipes 

Feb 2008
Greenville, Ohio
Liked 124 Times on 87 Posts

When I was in Highschool I worked at McDonalds and there was a guy who came in to wash the dishes and he was rather large. He told me if he could gain 5 more pounds he could apply for one of those then he wouldnt have to park so far away.... I see that alot too. Some big people have to have it but some can move well enough they can park with the rest of everyone else.

Old 09-09-2008, 01:58 PM   #6
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc

Recipes 

Dec 2007
"Detroitish" Michigan
Liked 3190 Times on 1885 Posts

In a city in Canada a couple years back, the cops had a sting set up where they ticketed those who were using the handicap stickers in cars where there was no handicapped person present. There was a journalist present who intereviewed the people, and the majority of the people had a handicapped person that they used it for...But they also used it when that person wasn't in the vehicle...And was a big No-No...and the judge and the city and the mayor (I think it was Windsor) backed it up.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 09-09-2008, 06:58 PM   #7
Homercidal
Licensed Sensual Massage Therapist.
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Feb 2008
Reed City, MI
Liked 4859 Times on 3275 Posts

Slap them until they quality!

Old 09-09-2008, 07:09 PM   #8
McKBrew

Recipes 

Oct 2006
Hayden, Idaho
Liked 35 Times on 30 Posts

I fully understand the need for handicap parking. However, I think that instead of being allotted by percentage, tidal phase, or whatever means they use to calculate how much handicap parking is in front of a business, that the business should be allowed to evaluate usage and make changes as necessary. It is somewhat frustrating to see a big row of empty spots at a store. It's not going to kill me to walk across the parking lot, but for someone who might be older and doesn't qualify for a handicap spot, or someone with young kids it might be nice to be able to park closer.

Old 09-09-2008, 07:13 PM   #9
schneemann

Recipes 

Jun 2008
AA County, MD
Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by McKBrew View Post
I fully understand the need for handicap parking. However, I think that instead of being allotted by percentage, tidal phase, or whatever means they use to calculate how much handicap parking is in front of a business, that the business should be allowed to evaluate usage and make changes as necessary. It is somewhat frustrating to see a big row of empty spots at a store. It's not going to kill me to walk across the parking lot, but for someone who might be older and doesn't qualify for a handicap spot, or someone with young kids it might be nice to be able to park closer.
Actually some stores do have "stork parking" available for pregnant women and people with infants (I assume) which is pretty cool

Quote:

Old 09-09-2008, 07:16 PM   #10
Brew-Happy
Recipes 

May 2008
Lubbock, Texas
Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirilis View Post
When I was in Highschool I worked at McDonalds and there was a guy who came in to wash the dishes and he was rather large. He told me if he could gain 5 more pounds he could apply for one of those then he wouldnt have to park so far away.... I see that alot too. Some big people have to have it but some can move well enough they can park with the rest of everyone else.
The problem with that guys thinking is that he is thinks he will be better off parking closer and getting more perks for being obese. Shouldn't he be MADE to park farther away to reduce his weight???

I know that he obviously had no interest in losing weight because of his comment and the gov can't make people lose weight as China is trying to do.

That one just annoys me more than the other examples listed. Not sure why...

Quote:
Now, Harry you must know all about Muggles, tell me, what exactly is the function of a rubber duck?
- Arthur Weasley