Coldbreak Brewing Giveaway - Open to All!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > What to do with Yakima Goldings

Old 09-09-2008, 02:28 AM   #1
davebl
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default What to do with Yakima Goldings

So digging through the hop chest today, I found a little over an ounce of Yakima Goldings. Anyone have a good idea for these babies?

I also have:

centennial
cascade
pearle
magnum
simcoe
a splash of glacier

I need some brew ideas for the fall, so lay them on me.

Planning:

Primary: Sam Smith Oatmeal Stout

Secondary: Centennial IPA (Dry Hopping)

Kegged: Oberon Clone, Kona Fire Rock APA, Northern English Brown, Centennial Blond

Old 09-09-2008, 02:56 AM   #2
devaspawn
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 2

You could go with a Scottish Ale. I used Golding in an 80/- that I made this past Saturday?

Prim 1: Ogre's House Red Ale
Prim 2: Apfelwein

Old 09-09-2008, 12:21 PM   #3
Bob
Recipes 

Liked 132 Times on 99 Posts
Likes Given: 36

Dry hop an English Bitter with them. Yakima Goldings are a cultivar of East Kent Goldings, and are very similar. With the current shortage of true EK Goldings, many commercial breweries have shifted to US or Canadian-grown Goldings.

So. Make a Bitter or Special Bitter. I like an OG of ~1.040. Use around 0.75 lb UK Crystal (55L), 0.5 lb Malted Wheat,the rest UK Pale Malt or Maris Otter.

Bitter with Magnum - judiciously! Magnum can impart a harsh flavor if overused! - to the middle of the BJCP IBU guidelines. Don't late-hop at all, and add all of the Goldings to the secondary (if used) or dry-hop in the keg (if used). If you're going to keg, don't overcarbonate; shoot for volumes ~1.8.

That should give you a pleasantly hoppy, traditional quaffing Bitter for the fall!

Old 09-09-2008, 01:46 PM   #4
Chriso
Broken Robot Brewing Co.
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 75 Times on 66 Posts
Likes Given: 132

Well dag nabbit. Bob just said what I was going to.

Otherwise, You sez you has Glacier. You could do Orfy's Hobgoblin with 1/2 Yak Goldings and 1/2 Glacier for the hop additions, instead of 1/2 Styrian 1/2 Fuggles. Compensate the AA's as necessary.

Another alternative (for a nice Winter beer) is to do up a Dry Stout, and use either All-Yakima Goldings, or half-and-half Yak Golds and Glacier for the 60 minute bittering addition (30-45 IBUs worth), and leave out all late hops. 2/3 lb of Roasted Barley for the color and the roast, a little Caramel malt if you feel like it (but I'd leave it out!) and a bunch of Pale Malt for the base. Mmm Mmm stouty goodness.

Also, your Cascade, Centennial, and Simcoe are calling, they want you to make a delicous American Pale with them

Chriso || BJCP Certified || SMaSH Brewers, Unite! || Nebraska Brewers! || Lincoln Lagers Brew Club
"You have just experienced the paradigm shift that is....all grain brewing." - BierMuncher

Old 09-09-2008, 05:18 PM   #5
FishinDave07
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

How about my Yakima Blonde Ale!
Drinking: Yakima Blonde (Imperialized), Banana Wheat, Russian Imperial Stout, and anything i can get my hands on
On Deck: Watermelon Wheat, Red Panda Ale, Gluten Free Brown Ale, Mojito IPA, Smoked Pepper Stout

Old 09-13-2008, 01:10 AM   #6
davebl
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriso View Post
Also, your Cascade, Centennial, and Simcoe are calling, they want you to make a delicous American Pale with them
Oh don't worry, I keep and IPA and a Pale Ale bottled/kegged all the time. I really think Cascade and Centennial hopped ale's can't be beat. Sometimes its hard for me stray from those beers.

Planning:

Primary: Sam Smith Oatmeal Stout

Secondary: Centennial IPA (Dry Hopping)

Kegged: Oberon Clone, Kona Fire Rock APA, Northern English Brown, Centennial Blond