High Efficiency - Page 2 - Home Brew Forums

Register Now!
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > Drunken Ramblings and Mindless Mumbling > High Efficiency

Old 09-11-2008, 08:05 PM   #11
Sherpa FE
The < 1% Club
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Oct 2007
Blairsville, Georgia
Liked 17 Times on 13 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby_M View Post
Hey man, fly up to NJ and brew a batch on my gear and I'll tell you when you do something wrong.
Bobby,
That would be awesome, I would love to do that. I am not sure the next time I will be flying a mission that way, but I will be sure to keep this in mind.

Old 09-11-2008, 10:16 PM   #12
wildwest450
Recipes 

Dec 2007
Liked 173 Times on 158 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherpa FE View Post
Is a God da$n myth.....
For all you people getting mid 70's, 80's and 90's KISS MY ARSE....
It's not our fault your a shi**y brewer.

Old 09-11-2008, 11:29 PM   #13
jspence1
Recipes 

Jul 2008
Hamilton, Ontario
Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby_M View Post
Hey man, fly up to NJ and brew a batch on my gear and I'll tell you when you do something wrong.
Better watch making comments like that we're going to be lined up like the rockettes on your door step.

Old 09-12-2008, 12:22 AM   #14
Sherpa FE
The < 1% Club

Recipes 

Oct 2007
Blairsville, Georgia

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildwest450 View Post
It's not our fault your a shi**y brewer.
That SIR, made me laugh. Thanks

Old 09-12-2008, 12:49 AM   #15
Donasay
Recipes 

Oct 2007
Boston
Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherpa FE View Post
Is a God da$n myth.....
For all you people getting mid 70's, 80's and 90's KISS MY ARSE....

I mean I follow all the steps here and it doesnt work.
You say add 5.2, I add it, and it doesnt work.
You say check thermometer calibratiion and I do, it doesnt work.
You say sparge at 185 degrees, I do, and whaddya know it DOESNT work.
You say, crush, crush, crush, I crush at .030" on a BC, and guess what??? It dont work for ****e....
You say, dont sparge valve full open, I dont... and it doesnt work.
You say sparge longer, I do..and it doenst work
You say, stir alot etween sparge's and I do....OMG, guess what IT DIDNT WORK...

So I say SCREW IT!!! I make good tasting beer and my frineds like it and I get druck drinking it.... I DONT CARE WHAT MY EFF IS!!!!! IT STILL MAKES BEER.
GOT IT>????

Whew...I feel a little better. I think I need another beer. " HEY WIFE....BEER ME!!"
Here is a question, are you sure you are doing the equations correctly, I have seen people do what I think are simple brewing equations before and come up with some completely wacky numbers. I am just saying check your math, and the high efficency people should probably do the same, they could be messing up their math as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by quixotic View Post
The true definition of an addiction: not stopping even when a dog is having his way with you.:D
http://www.solutionsinmetal.com/

Old 09-12-2008, 01:12 AM   #16
k1v1116
Recipes 

Mar 2008
Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

well I guess you've explored the most common stuff: getting a water report, checking your equipment design against stuff other people have working well, calibrating thermos, grain crush (too fine a crush can cause channeling and drop your eff)

some things Ive learned, make sure the lautertun is perfectly level this makes a bigger difference than you might think, a slow steady runoff while fly sparging is really important, you can always collect a larger boil volume and boil it down for a while before adding hops, this takes longer and might result in a little bit more caramelization but shouldnt have a huge effect and can help raise efficiency if the sparge is the problem.

Old 09-12-2008, 01:47 AM   #17
beerthirty
big beers turn my gears

Recipes 

May 2008
Podunk, VA. Not far from the NC line.
Liked 32 Times on 14 Posts

I'm trying to raise my eff. too. But in the long run what is a 5-10%, all of $2 on a 20 lb grain bill? Thats not worth a longer boil at todays fuel prices or my time and frustration. I plug along and every few brews change one thing at a time so I can determine if it was fluke or fact. Don't let it bother you too much. RDWHAHB. I've slowly raised my eff. from 58 to 76% and since I recently reduced MLT, BK and chiller loss deadspace by over 1.5 gallons think it may jump drastically. I'm really looking forward to the next several brews.
primary- Tangerine Dream, SWMBO slayer,
serving- amber ale hop experiment #6, Roggenbier, apfelwine
planning- Cru?
conditioning- 9/9/09 barleywine
Drink water?... Never, fish fornicate in it.--- W.C. Fields
Most problems can be solved with the proper application of force.

Old 09-12-2008, 01:47 AM   #18
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png

Recipes 

Aug 2006
Whitehouse Station, NJ
Liked 1658 Times on 1071 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donasay View Post
Here is a question, are you sure you are doing the equations correctly, I have seen people do what I think are simple brewing equations before and come up with some completely wacky numbers. I am just saying check your math, and the high efficency people should probably do the same, they could be messing up their math as well.
I use beer tools pro to calculate but I've also done the math for giggles. They line up +/- 1%.

It's so true that there's literally only a $2-3 difference per 5 gallon batch between 70 and 85% efficiency.

Old 09-12-2008, 01:47 PM   #19
Sherpa FE
The < 1% Club

Recipes 

Oct 2007
Blairsville, Georgia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donasay View Post

Pretty sure that this is not an issue, I am using Beer Smith, I know the old addage, gargabe in, garbaage out, BUT I am very meticulous with my measurements. (just not sooo much with my spelling).

Old 09-12-2008, 01:55 PM   #20
Sherpa FE
The < 1% Club

Recipes 

Oct 2007
Blairsville, Georgia

Quote:
Originally Posted by k1v1116 View Post
some things Ive learned, make sure the lautertun is perfectly level this makes a bigger difference than you might think.
Check, MLT is level.

Quote:
Originally Posted by k1v1116 View Post
a slow steady runoff while fly sparging is really important.
Check, I batch sparge. Dont think that I am getting chanelling.

I appreciate all the tips, keep em coming, bound to get it right somehow.