Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > General Chit Chat > Operating System Geekery

Old 09-08-2008, 07:09 PM   #11
david_42
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 140 Times on 133 Posts

Not quite the same thing, but I've ordered a new motherboard for my main system. The old system will become a database/web server. I've been using CentOS, but the 5.2 distribution is too big to download (Sat. DSL with tight limits) and ALL of the people who sell the CD/DVDs only take PayHel!

May have to drive over to OSU & burn a copy.

I'd say FreeBSD. Haven't used it in years, but it's much geekier to know more OS's than more variations. Anyone for Xenix?

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Old 09-08-2008, 08:01 PM   #12
mmb
FNG
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 3325 Times on 3211 Posts
Likes Given: 208

Quote:
Originally Posted by david_42 View Post
Not quite the same thing, but I've ordered a new motherboard for my main system. The old system will become a database/web server. I've been using CentOS, but the 5.2 distribution is too big to download (Sat. DSL with tight limits) and ALL of the people who sell the CD/DVDs only take PayHel!

May have to drive over to OSU & burn a copy.

I'd say FreeBSD. Haven't used it in years, but it's much geekier to know more OS's than more variations. Anyone for Xenix?
Solaris, AIX, OS/400, HP-UX (they left out the S in that), Irix, and Linux

I only use Linux and OS/400 anymore. Irix was about the best out of all the "real" unix systems I messed with, IMHO. O2, Octaine, and Indy were nice boxes.

Old 09-08-2008, 09:29 PM   #13
Yuri_Rage
Gritty.
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 658 Times on 417 Posts
Likes Given: 65

So far Gentoo is a complete PITA. I expected that, though. GRUB was not as easy to configure as it should have been, so I've been dealing with that for most of the install (GRUB doesn't play well with a mix of SATA and IDE drives). Portage is cool...if it ever gets through updating. I'm in a REALLY generic X environment, so getting video drivers and a working wm are first on the list. Then I'll start exploring Gentoo a little more thoroughly.

Old 09-08-2008, 10:13 PM   #14
Kevin Dean

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

I run Debian as my OS and I make heavy use of KVM virtualization to run other things.

Virtualization > Multi-boot.

I like FreeBSD in theory, but in practice it tended to be unstable on my hardware, corrupting my drives and doing general non-workingness.

Gentoo was at one point a great distro, but it's time has passed. It's two biggest pluses, great documentation and a helpful community are both greatly decreased in usefulness. Also, I simply use my computer WAY too much to cope with the compile times for a source-based distro.

Quote:
I'm chained to the RPM package management system.
I'm so, so, sorry. RPM makes me want to stomp on puppies and fills me with rage. I avoid it like the plague.

Quote:
Originally Posted by david_42
it's much geekier to know more OS's than more variations.
I'd agree. It really enriches your experience when you understand how different OSes relate to each other.

With OpenSolaris 2008.05 out, I might recommend giving that a spin if you're only interested in trying out somethign new for fun. ZFS is what got me addicted to LVM which expanded my possibility on Linux and I'm really intriqued by some of the backend things in Solaris like the service management stuff...

Talk about geeking out. :S

"What's your name? Well my mom calls me Son, and my cat calls me Meow, either will do." -- Sam Dodson of the Obscured Truth Network

Old 09-08-2008, 10:17 PM   #15
Yuri_Rage
Gritty.
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

I've run Debian before and liked it just fine. Ubuntu (my distro of choice so far) is heavily based on Debian, so I don't plan on installing a pure Debian distro at the moment. I used to run Slackware and RedHat, but there seem to be far better options these days.

OpenSolaris, eh? I think I've got a partition I can dedicate...

Old 09-08-2008, 11:42 PM   #16
Yuri_Rage
Gritty.
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

+1 on source based Gentoo being slow to install/update! I knew Portage would be a little clunkier than the Debian aptitude system, but this is nuts! It took FOREVER to sync, and I'm only about halfway through fetching/building updates (cable modem, plenty of RAM and processing power). I am curious, however as to whether the end state system will be noticeably faster/leaner than Ubuntu.

Still haven't even gotten to solving some driver issues (or installing FreeBSD)!

OpenSolaris and its fancy zfs may not coexist well on a drive with ext2/3 partitions (so I've read), so I'm not sure if I'll actually install it or just use the Live CD.

Old 09-08-2008, 11:42 PM   #17
JVD_X
Feedback Score: 4 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

You suggest you virtualize... xen is free for the desktop and is FAST.

Citrix Systems Desktop Management with Citrix XenDesktop

Old 09-08-2008, 11:48 PM   #18
Yuri_Rage
Gritty.
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

xen is not free - it has a free trial.

Old 09-08-2008, 11:48 PM   #19
Tankenator
Recipes 

Default gentoo

i ran gentoo for a bit early in the 00's, and found that every time portage did a general update (they do something akin to a rolling update at lease) specifically x, it would hose all my config files and i would have to babysit each time i ran portage. It was a bit faster than other distros, but i couldnt take the 2 day compile times for kde for instance, as well as the configure it yourself feel it has for _everything_ (hal and other useful stuff for instance)

to each i suppose, but the extra .2 seconds on boot or whatever aint worth it to me....

Old 09-08-2008, 11:53 PM   #20
mmb
FNG
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 3325 Times on 3211 Posts
Likes Given: 208

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yuri_Rage View Post
OpenSolaris and its fancy zfs may not coexist well on a drive with ext2/3 partitions (so I've read), so I'm not sure if I'll actually install it or just use the Live CD.
It "should" work fine. Solaris is a different beast, to be sure. Make sure you install the GNU tools package or look up the Unix Rosetta stone. Same apps, different syntax.