Coldbreak Brewing HERMS Giveaway!

HomeBrewSupply AMCYL Brew Kettle Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > What process does everyone use when transfering from Carboy to Keg?

Old 11-19-2008, 09:32 PM   #21
IrregularPulse
Hobby Collector
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 3002 Times on 2909 Posts
Likes Given: 148

Why does everyone fill with co2 first. You're hooking up to co2 when you're done anyway right? So why not let it fill for a few seconds, then vent a few times. Instead of the extra step at the beginning?

I should have stuck to four fingers in Vegas. :o - marubozo's mom

Old 11-19-2008, 09:54 PM   #22
springer

Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 21 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrregularPulse View Post
Why does everyone fill with co2 first. You're hooking up to co2 when you're done anyway right? So why not let it fill for a few seconds, then vent a few times. Instead of the extra step at the beginning?

Really dont "Fill" with CO2 just a few seconds burst . The beer gets racked under a blanket of CO2 no chance of O2 being mixed with the beer.

If my beer is in a carboy I use the auto syphon and just rack into the keg. If its in a conical then I just dump right from the port into the keg hook up the co2 purge a few time and were done

Old 11-19-2008, 10:24 PM   #23
MoRoToRiUm
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Just precaution for oxidation- many will just purge the head space a few times after transfer. This is safe as well, but doing it before transferring ensures the heavier CO2 creates a blanket over your beer as you fill.