Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Extract Brewing > Pumpkin stout

Old 09-07-2008, 09:02 PM   #1
StoutattheDevil
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Pumpkin stout

Hey guys,

We wanted to try to put together a pumpkin stout instead of doing a traditional ale or porter. I was going to just use canned pumpkin and pumpkin pie spices and just use a pretty basic oatmeal stout recipe for the beer itself. Any suggestions to a good recipe or any tips when dealing with the pumpkin or when a good time to add the spices into the batch would be?

Cheers!

Old 09-08-2008, 08:45 PM   #2
jacksonbrown
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Check out Yuri's Thunderstruck Pumpkin Ale, maybe that'll give you some ideas. I'd imagine that for the flavors to come through in a stout you would have to up the quantity of spices and possibly the pumplin as well.

Old 09-11-2008, 03:11 PM   #3
MgMt_Home_Brew
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

When i did my pumpkin ale I added the spices with like 2 minutes to go in the boil. The sample I pulled tasted pretty good. But I agree with jacksonbrown, you might want to add extra to get the flavor. I used a 29oz can of liby's all natural pumkin, maybe go with one of those and a smaller one.

****EDIT****
After a week fermentation was done on my pumpkin ale but I really didn't like the taste. So I added two more 29oz cans with equal parts water and 2 tablespoons mallasses. I simmered it all for about 15 minutes, cooled, then added. It tastes a lot better now.