How long will cracked grain last? - Home Brew Forums
Register Now For Free!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > How long will cracked grain last?

Old 09-07-2008, 02:35 PM   #1
JRX
Recipes 

Nov 2007

I ordered a beer kit and had them crack the grain for me. That was about a month or so ago and the cracked grain has not been refrigerated but it is sealed. Is it still good for brewing or will I need to get fresher grains?

Old 09-07-2008, 02:38 PM   #2
RLinNH
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Feb 2006
Wrentham, MA
Liked 28 Times on 13 Posts

By not being refrigerated, has the grain been sitting outside in the hot sun, or has it been in a basement under somewhat cool conditions? I do not like to use Cracked Grains when they have been cracked for more then a week. But hey, I am anal and I know of a few people that have used Cracked Grain that has been sitting around for more then 6 months. If I were you, I'd use the grain you have. Also, are you AG'ing or PM'ing?

Personally, I crack my grains about 10 minutes before I mash in. I understand that not everyone has that option, but it sure is noce to have it.

On Deck Hmmmmmmm
Primary Super Sessionable III
Secondary
On TapAmerican Pale Ale

Old 09-07-2008, 04:22 PM   #3
BrewBrain
Aleforger

Recipes 

Aug 2007
San Jose, CA
Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts

I've used sealed cracked grains stored at room temps several months after purchase with no ill effects. No worries.

QUICKSILVER HOME BREWERY

Old 09-07-2008, 04:43 PM   #4
eddie
Recipes 

Aug 2007
Hermon, Maine
Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRX View Post
I ordered a beer kit and had them crack the grain for me. That was about a month or so ago and the cracked grain has not been refrigerated but it is sealed. Is it still good for brewing or will I need to get fresher grains?
They should be fine as long as they've been sealed and kept dry.

Old 09-07-2008, 05:57 PM   #5
blacklab

Recipes 

Nov 2007
Portland, ME
Liked 48 Times on 27 Posts

Sealed, kept dry in temp range of 60-70? You can go months, no problem.

Old 09-07-2008, 06:53 PM   #6
JRX
Recipes 

Nov 2007

Thanks for all the input. The grains have been sealed and kept dry at room temp. (73-78) for a couple of months. Also, the yeast (white labs pitchable) has been refrigerated that whole time. Am I safe in assuming the yeast is fine as well?

Old 09-07-2008, 07:00 PM   #7
eddie
Recipes 

Aug 2007
Hermon, Maine
Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

There should be a date on the vial. If it's passed this date, it's probably still usable but you should make a starter with it to ensure viability. In fact, it's recommended that you use a starter whenever you use liquid yeast. It's also a good ifea to have a couple packs of dry yeast on hand as a back-up in case the liquid yeast has crapped out.

Old 09-07-2008, 07:57 PM   #8
fat x nub

Recipes 

Jun 2008
Atlanta, GA
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

My crushed grains have been sitting unsealed in a paper bag for a week....should i hurry up and use them or will i be ok?
Secondary 2- empty
Bottled/Kegged- Centinneal Blonde, Apfelwein
Up Next- MyCastle (N.English Brown Ale), Hooch Pale Ale
Thinking About: Tripple Bock, Chocolate Stout, open to suggestions

"Every beer is a good beer if I can taste the brewer's intent"
-Jim Koch

Is this guy serious??:
Quote:
Originally Posted by papabeach1 View Post
so barley is a leaves of hops? or barley is a different plant? and blend with hops? I need that to be cleared thanks..

Old 09-07-2008, 08:54 PM   #9
eddie
Recipes 

Aug 2007
Hermon, Maine
Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Do they feel damp or kind of clump up in your hand or do the seem dry and granular?

Old 09-07-2008, 09:08 PM   #10
blk94f150
Recipes 

Jan 2008
Northern KY
Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

What do you mean by sealed? I crush my own grain at the LHBS, twist it, and bread tie it. Or are you talking about vacuum sealed?

I'd love to get about 3-4 beers worth of crushed grain to use over 6-8 weeks.

Mike