Coldbreak Brewing Giveaway - Open to All!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > white film after moving

Old 09-07-2008, 02:17 PM   #1
DoubleXL
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default white film after moving

I had to move my pale ale that was in a secondary BB last week the trip was about 45 minutes in the back of the truck it had been in the BB for about 2 weeks and was pretty stirred up after the trip but the air lock still had the same amount of vodka in it after the move and it was coverd the whole time to sheild from heat and light the best i could. Now that ive let it sit for another week since the move i have a layer of white film floating on top of the beer. Im not sure if this is ok or not. If anyone else has had the happen i sure would be greatful for any help at all.

Old 09-07-2008, 02:26 PM   #2
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2867 Times on 1696 Posts
Likes Given: 3510

All that movement kicked up a bunch of yeast to the surface, and more than likely caused a bit of fermentation to occur, so what you have is a small krauzen forming again.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 09-07-2008, 02:32 PM   #3
DoubleXL
Recipes 

Thank you for the quick responce i was getting a little nervous. hopefully ill get my kegging set up in the morn and ill be ready to go

Old 09-07-2008, 02:53 PM   #4
Ecnerwal
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Let it sit where it is for another week or two.

Gives any restarted activity time to complete, and let everything settle out again.

Old 09-10-2008, 12:16 AM   #5
DoubleXL
Recipes 

Thanks so much with out this site im sure i would be even more lost than i am in the world of home brew lol

Old 09-10-2008, 04:21 PM   #6
casebrew
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

I think the white stuff is a different stage of yeast growth. My most severe incident was to use a warm weather yeast in the coolest part of the year. Had a bit of off flavor when new, but it aged out to be very good.

I just did a 1 1/2 batch, in two fermenters. One secondary got some bits of the white fluff, the other didn't. Much of the fluff stuck to the side during racking to the bottling bucket. No worry about the rest, it's all conditioning now.

72 batches so far,
48 wine, mostly Loquat, peach, plum, prickly pear
23 beers and ciders
1 sauerkraut
1 Tequila, from a prickly pear wine experiment that didn't work. I call it "Prickly Heat"