Fruit Beer watermelon wheat - Page 12 - Home Brew Forums

Register Now!
Home Brew Forums > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Specialty, Fruit, Historical, Other Homebrew Recipes > Fruit Beer watermelon wheat

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 07-29-2009, 08:07 PM   #111
amishland
 
amishland's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Dec 2007
SE Michigan
Posts: 399
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts


Thanks for the inspiration and base recipe. this will be a yearly summer brew forever in my home brewery. I am no longer scared to make it 10 gallons at a time.

Update, my batch turned out great, every one loves it, very refreshing and just the right amount of watermelon. Although the secondary was quite pink when I racked into a keg the siphon was golden like a American Wheat should be. the trub left in secondary was pink as a jolly rancher though. Interesting that the watermelon juice must be heavier than my fermented wort.....

aroma was neutral, taste was fantastic, and the finish leaves a touch of watermelon flavor on your lips. I will post a pic of the final product as soon as I can remember, i am posting from work right now, and beer is in the keezer at home.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 03:59 PM   #112
WhirlingBastard
 
WhirlingBastard's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Aug 2008
Michigan
Posts: 58

I agree. Amishland brewed a hell of a great summer beer. I enjoyed the two pitchers we drank last night. I only wish it had been Friday.

I also plan on brewing this beer this Saturday. I was thinking about adding a touch of cinnamon to add just a hint of spice to the beer.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2009, 02:19 AM   #113
fuzzybee
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 
 
Oct 2008
Marietta, GA
Posts: 316
Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts


I'm going to be starting up a batch of this this weekend, using 5 lb of Wheat DME instead of LME.

I'm kegging - does anybody see any problem with me adding the watermelon juice to the keg, rather than to the secondary?

 
Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2009, 03:18 AM   #114
nostalgia
 
nostalgia's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Feb 2008
Port Murray, NJ
Posts: 2,404
Liked 97 Times on 57 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzzybee View Post
I'm kegging - does anybody see any problem with me adding the watermelon juice to the keg, rather than to the secondary?
That's what I did. Worked out fine and is delicious. Just need to give it a few pints as any solids in your juice will settle to the bottom and your first few pulls will be alarmingly pink

-Joe
__________________
I'm opening a brewery! Man Skirt Brewing

Progress is always up on my Facebook page

 
Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2009, 03:57 PM   #115
amishland
 
amishland's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Dec 2007
SE Michigan
Posts: 399
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzzybee View Post
I'm going to be starting up a batch of this this weekend, using 5 lb of Wheat DME instead of LME.

I'm kegging - does anybody see any problem with me adding the watermelon juice to the keg, rather than to the secondary?
I personally racked off of the watermelon juice in my secondary. I did not want any fruit particles making there way into the final beer in the glass, and I didnt want my final product to be pinkish.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2009, 04:47 PM   #116
FisherWoodcraft
Recipes 
 
Mar 2009
Posts: 35

Here's an early pull. No pink



-Joe

 
Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2009, 11:07 PM   #117
ben the brewman
Recipes 
 
Mar 2008
Memphis, TN
Posts: 411
Liked 18 Times on 14 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by amishland View Post
Thanks for the inspiration and base recipe. this will be a yearly summer brew forever in my home brewery. I am no longer scared to make it 10 gallons at a time.

Update, my batch turned out great, every one loves it, very refreshing and just the right amount of watermelon. Although the secondary was quite pink when I racked into a keg the siphon was golden like a American Wheat should be. the trub left in secondary was pink as a jolly rancher though. Interesting that the watermelon juice must be heavier than my fermented wort.....

aroma was neutral, taste was fantastic, and the finish leaves a touch of watermelon flavor on your lips. I will post a pic of the final product as soon as I can remember, i am posting from work right now, and beer is in the keezer at home.
awesome deal man sounds great. what yeast did you use for the brew. im gonna have to brew another batch up soon.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009, 01:34 PM   #118
amishland
 
amishland's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Dec 2007
SE Michigan
Posts: 399
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts


American Hefeweizen Ale (White Labs #WLP320)
NO Starter, fermented at 63 deg.


Reason: added picture

 
Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 12:19 AM   #119
nutty_gnome
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
 
nutty_gnome's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Jan 2009
Princeton, Nj
Posts: 1,375
Liked 124 Times on 98 Posts


I served homebrew (among other things) to a party of 40 for my son's 4th birthday party. The watermelon wheat was well received and created quite a buzz with people who don't normally like beer but were intruiged by the concept. They went through all of the beer (watermelon and otherwise) I had available to serve.
__________________
N_G
It could be worse.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 12:55 AM   #120
ben the brewman
Recipes 
 
Mar 2008
Memphis, TN
Posts: 411
Liked 18 Times on 14 Posts


awesome gnome glad to hear that. looks like this recipe is doing well.

 
Reply With Quote


Reply
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
How to avoid rotten watermelon flavor in watermelon wheat ultrasuede Recipes/Ingredients 7 12-31-2014 03:42 AM
Making A Std Wheat into Watermelon Wheat eidling Extract Brewing 12 08-22-2014 01:04 PM
SWMBBerry, Waltermelon White (Raspberry Wheat, Watermelon Wheat) Jason82 Recipes/Ingredients 0 06-09-2014 12:43 AM
Fruit Beer Watermelon Wheat jett78 Specialty, Fruit, Historical, Other Homebrew Recipes 0 07-02-2013 12:33 AM
Watermelon wheat nostalgia All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing 18 07-17-2009 06:01 PM


Forum Jump