F**cking Banks - Page 3 - Home Brew Forums
Register Now For Free!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > Drunken Ramblings and Mindless Mumbling > F**cking Banks

Old 09-05-2008, 06:44 PM   #21
BigNick73
Recipes 

Sep 2007

I got the same response one time for saying damn. I got rear ended on my way home one day totaling my truck. I went to the Dr. and got x-rays and such and they went ahead and filed my personal insurance on the spot and I payed the bill, since I figured the guy who hit me insurance would reimburse me. Well I call up the insurance company of the person that hit me and asked to be reimbursed, and they kept telling me to send a bill and I kept telling them I only had a receipt. Spent 10 minuted trying to explain that there was no bill, and all I wanted was to be reimbursed and I'd be glad to send them the reciept.

Them :"What do you mean you dont have a bill you went to the Dr. right?"
Me: "Do you not know the difference between a receipt and a damn bill?"
Them: "If you continue using that language I'll have to end this call"

I ended up getting 10x what the x-rays cost me, and they wonder why I got an attorney involved in it.

Old 09-05-2008, 09:10 PM   #22
FlyGuy

Recipes 

Jan 2007
Calgary, Alberta
Liked 183 Times on 53 Posts

Dealing with the bank monopoly (read collusion) here in Canada ticks me off to no end, as well, as does poor customer service overall. But I have to agree that swearing just signals that you have lost your cool, and no customer service rep will be helpful to you then.

Personally, I think the 'exceptionally polite but viciously angry' approach always works best. Customer service reps never want to deal with someone who is angry, but they can brush you off if they believe you have lost your cool and are being unreasonable. Be angry, but speak in a controlled, collected and exceedingly polite manner, and you will almost always get your way. I always aim to be belligerently persistent, too. I think that sometimes it's the only way to speak to a manager on the phone, and they are typically the only ones with any real power to resolve a dispute.

Anyways, sorry to hear about your misfortune. I am betting the bank was BMO.

Old 09-06-2008, 12:33 PM   #23
fratermus

Recipes 

Feb 2008
Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jspence1 View Post
I ask my friendly banking associate if I'm going to have to got through this sh1t every time I login now.......his answer?!?! if you continue to use language like that I will have to end this call.
Asking civil questions that can be answered by the rep is a way to get what you want from callcenters. Asking incivil questions that cannot be answered by the rep is a recipe for frustration on both ends of the phone.

Old 09-06-2008, 02:03 PM   #24
fratermus

Recipes 

Feb 2008
Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

In case you are wondering what working in a callcenter is like:

It's 9am. I have been at work on the phones for 3hrs [and I have fielded 15 server-down calls]. My last call started immediately with belligerence and profanity in the first sentence, and involved threats of shotgun violence.

Reason: [added context in brackets]

Old 09-06-2008, 04:25 PM   #25
Rick500

Recipes 

Jun 2008
KY
Liked 15 Times on 13 Posts

I used to work at a pizza delivery place. You can imagine the kind of abuse people would try to give the people answering the phones. The first abusive word uttered would get them a warning that the conversation was going to end if they did it again. But unless they were directing it at me or a coworker, I didn't pay too much attention to it.

Old 09-06-2008, 04:51 PM   #26
johnsma22
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Jun 2006
Taunton, MA
Liked 82 Times on 61 Posts

Using foul language at any time, regardless of how justifiably angry you may be, only serves to identify the quality of your character. Remember, a kind word turns away wrath. The English language is one of the most expressive languages on earth, so there's really no reason to f*cking swear to get your point across, LOL!

Old 09-06-2008, 11:12 PM   #27
kappclark

Recipes 

Sep 2006
Southern VT
Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

I would ask for a supervisor ...

I know what bad service is. Usually the supervisor will be more competent.

With computer/tech support, I always ask for a case number, so when I call back, they can read the notes abt the plm

Frustrating as it is, the cursing just won't open many doors.

Old 09-07-2008, 10:56 AM   #28
gratus fermentatio
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Jun 2008
Montana
Liked 2577 Times on 1429 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jezter6 View Post
As someone in customer service - while we understand you are angry - the person on the phone likely did not cause your direct password problem, and it is absolutely unfair and kind of rude to verbally assault him or her for something they didn't do. Hell, even if they DID do it, you don't know them well enough to talk to them like that.

I'm gathering that if the FedEx guy came to deliver your package from AHS and he said "Here's your heavy arse package, who the hell do you think you are making me carry this sh!t around?" you'd probably be the first caller into FedEx customer service to complain that the poor driver yelled at you.

Sorry, no dice. That person didn't do anything to you - don't assault them.
Someone who works in customer service is paid to serve the customer. Doesn't matter if that customer is pissed-off, that should be an indication that somebody in their organization has dropped the ball & now it's their duty to fix the problem whether they created it or not; that IS what they get paid for, is it not? The guy is doing them a favour by keeping his money in their bank, they make a tidy profit off of his money. When there is a problem, an exceedingly frustrating problem that shouldn't have happened in the 1st place, and the customer calls for some service, and gets a threat of no service, I think there's an additional problem there; with the person who's supposed to be helping him. Ever hear the phrase "The customer is always right"? Well there he was, the customer. Just wanting a little service from customer service. Instead he got some assclown who won't do their job & still expects to get paid for it. Fire the assclown & get someone in there who can & will do the job of providing service to the customer. Anyone who works in customer service should expect some abuse; afterall, it's the morons who screwed things up in the 1st place & the exceedingly frustrated customers those screw-ups managed to piss-off that are keeping the customer service people employed. Now to be fair, there IS a line that we shouldn't cross, but I don't think this guy crossed it, even if he did, the assclown should've just transferred him to his mgr. That's part of what a manager's job is: to deal with the things that are beyond the capabilities of his staff. It's kind of like an EMT who's trying to save the life of a car accident victim & when the victim says "F*ck! It hurts!" the EMT says "if you continue to use language like that sir, I'll have to leave you here in the street." At the bank I deal with, they pay me $5.00 every time I have a problem with the ATM machine, AND not only do they fix the problem ASAP, they're also polite about it, even when I'm obviously pissed-off... Now that's good service; and that's a major reason (out of a few) as to why i continue to do business with their firm. OK, I'll step down off my soapbox now. Just so we're clear, this little rant wasn't aimed at you jetzer, nor at the OP; I'm just putting in my 2 cents worth, and now I'm done.

Old 09-08-2008, 02:04 PM   #29
Homercidal
Licensed Sensual Massage Therapist.
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Feb 2008
Reed City, MI
Liked 5012 Times on 3383 Posts

When I call tech support, I am on my best behaviour. No matter how upset I am. I give them the opportunity to fix me up before I get irate with them.

On the other hand, when strangers call me, and try to sell me credit cards, auto warranty, Dish Network, etc. I am as rude as I wanna be. My wife says I could get in trouble for it, but I think not. They called me, and so they are taking a chance.
Sometimes I just ask them to hold on for a moment, then set the phone down and see how long before they hang up.
Sometimes I press buttons on the phone at random intervals while they were talking. Shows then how rude it is to be interrupted.
The number 2 is usually the "take me off your call list" button.