Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > Commercial Brew Discussion > Southern Tier 'Pumking' Imperial Pumpkin Ale

Old 02-11-2012, 03:41 AM   #41
kvnklingler
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Likes Given: 3

A couple weeks ago a bar in Columbus, OH (where I live) had one keg of pumking that was aged for four months by Southern Tier in a white oak barrel. It was gone in a handful of hours but I was blessed with about 48oz of it. Damn it was delicious. Southern Tier is hard to walk past

I share the desire for a good clone. There is a lot to consider as it is very sweet, has the aroma of a slice of pie (with whipped cream), is 9% and I think it even has hints of the crust. Amazing beer. I know one thing, If I could brew this beer I would have a lot more money in the fall, it is not cheap.

- supposed clone on hopville....
http://hopville.com/recipe/346975/sp...-pumking-clone

Old 03-24-2012, 09:05 PM   #42
nymtber
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I had a 22oz of this stuff this fall...

It took all I had to choke it down. Absolutely gross. but to each their own...

Shoulda just bought Arrogant Bastard, I could drink that by the pitcher!

Old 09-03-2012, 10:41 PM   #43
jabergess
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 50

The "clone" doesn't really measure up in ABV so makes me wonder how close it really is. I too am on a mission to recreate the Pumking. Definitely a unique beer. I'll keep looking, doesn't look like anyone has figured it out on this thread yet.

Old 09-04-2012, 01:35 AM   #44
rcp197
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Drinking some right now with a thin layer of brown sugar on the rim. It's fantastic! Easily the best pumpkin beer I've ever had. Wish I had a clone!

Old 09-14-2012, 04:41 PM   #45
sweetcell
Swollen Member
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 783 Times on 578 Posts
Likes Given: 315

i got a bottle that was blatantly skunked with DMS (corn-like flavors). yuck.

Drinking: Trois IPA (amarillo/galaxy/simcoe), imperial chocolate stout, dubbel
Carb'ing: Tripel'ish, local sour cherry kriek, oud bruin, gueuz'ish thing, saison bottled with ECY34
Aging: TYB saison brett blend, sour cherry mead, rye sour ECY20/ECY34 split, several other sours, acerglyn

Old 09-16-2012, 11:35 PM   #46
jabergess
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

I went to Hop City in Atlanta and bought pretty much every style of imperial pumpkin beer they had to offer, including 3 Pumkings . I'm drinking one now and it is wonderful - no corn like flavors to be found. My first thought is nutmeg and ginger followed by pumpkin. It has a sweet but dry finish, which I know is contradictory, but that's what I taste. It is a pretty light colored beer and comes out at almost 9%. I remember I liked Schlafly's pumpkin more, but the beer place didn't have any of those to compare with. Really a great beer overall though. If my imperial pumpkin beer turns out half as well, I'll be pretty pleased.

Old 09-21-2012, 09:36 PM   #47
m_stodd
Recipes 

Liked 56 Times on 38 Posts

I bought a couple bottles of this yesterday and drank one of them. I was underwhelmed. It was a good beer, but from the descriptions I thought it would taste much different. Mine had little spice, and basically tasted nutty.

I'm going to try the other one tonight along with some others (hopefully)

Old 10-09-2012, 03:27 PM   #48
McKBrew

Recipes 

Liked 34 Times on 30 Posts
Likes Given: 8

I have heard about this beer for years and finally had to opportunity to buy a bottle. Was really disappointed.

No head to speak of, somewhat watery, and it had a weird almost rank/bitter vegetable taste. Maybe I just had one of those off bottles but I won't be rushing out to buy this one again.

Old 10-09-2012, 03:46 PM   #49
jabergess
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Well, that's crappy! You definitely got a bad bottle. If you ever see it on draft give it a try. I've had the beer quite a few times and never tasted anything like what you described.
In keeping with the pumpkin theme...but not of the Southern Tier variety, I just had a Heavy Seas The Greater Pumpkin over the weekend. WOW!

Old 10-09-2012, 05:35 PM   #50
sweetcell
Swollen Member
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 783 Times on 578 Posts
Likes Given: 315

Quote:
Originally Posted by McKBrew View Post
No head to speak of, somewhat watery, and it had a weird almost rank/bitter vegetable taste.
yup, i got one too. definitely a disappointment after having heard so much about this beer. oh well... maybe next year.

Drinking: Trois IPA (amarillo/galaxy/simcoe), imperial chocolate stout, dubbel
Carb'ing: Tripel'ish, local sour cherry kriek, oud bruin, gueuz'ish thing, saison bottled with ECY34
Aging: TYB saison brett blend, sour cherry mead, rye sour ECY20/ECY34 split, several other sours, acerglyn
McKBrew Likes This