Southern Tier 'Pumking' Imperial Pumpkin Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A couple weeks ago a bar in Columbus, OH (where I live) had one keg of pumking that was aged for four months by Southern Tier in a white oak barrel. It was gone in a handful of hours but I was blessed with about 48oz of it. Damn it was delicious. Southern Tier is hard to walk past

I share the desire for a good clone. There is a lot to consider as it is very sweet, has the aroma of a slice of pie (with whipped cream), is 9% and I think it even has hints of the crust. Amazing beer. I know one thing, If I could brew this beer I would have a lot more money in the fall, it is not cheap.

- supposed clone on hopville....
http://hopville.com/recipe/346975/spice-herb-or-vegetable-beer-recipes/southern-tier-pumking-clone

I had a 22oz of this stuff this fall...

It took all I had to choke it down. Absolutely gross. but to each their own...

Shoulda just bought Arrogant Bastard, I could drink that by the pitcher!

The "clone" doesn't really measure up in ABV so makes me wonder how close it really is. I too am on a mission to recreate the Pumking. Definitely a unique beer. I'll keep looking, doesn't look like anyone has figured it out on this thread yet.

Drinking some right now with a thin layer of brown sugar on the rim. It's fantastic! Easily the best pumpkin beer I've ever had. Wish I had a clone!

I went to Hop City in Atlanta and bought pretty much every style of imperial pumpkin beer they had to offer, including 3 Pumkings . I'm drinking one now and it is wonderful - no corn like flavors to be found. My first thought is nutmeg and ginger followed by pumpkin. It has a sweet but dry finish, which I know is contradictory, but that's what I taste. It is a pretty light colored beer and comes out at almost 9%. I remember I liked Schlafly's pumpkin more, but the beer place didn't have any of those to compare with. Really a great beer overall though. If my imperial pumpkin beer turns out half as well, I'll be pretty pleased.

I bought a couple bottles of this yesterday and drank one of them. I was underwhelmed. It was a good beer, but from the descriptions I thought it would taste much different. Mine had little spice, and basically tasted nutty.

I'm going to try the other one tonight along with some others (hopefully)

I have heard about this beer for years and finally had to opportunity to buy a bottle. Was really disappointed.

No head to speak of, somewhat watery, and it had a weird almost rank/bitter vegetable taste. Maybe I just had one of those off bottles but I won't be rushing out to buy this one again.

Well, that's crappy! You definitely got a bad bottle. If you ever see it on draft give it a try. I've had the beer quite a few times and never tasted anything like what you described.
In keeping with the pumpkin theme...but not of the Southern Tier variety, I just had a Heavy Seas The Greater Pumpkin over the weekend. WOW!

yup, i got one too. definitely a disappointment after having heard so much about this beer. oh well... maybe next year.

Yep. It's pretty sad that the Sam Adams Pumpkin beer is better than this and a 6 pack costs less than a 22oz bottle.

Can you name a beer that people either love or hate more than Pumking? Reviews are usually so polar opposite on this particular beer.

I love it. I got a couple bad bottles last year, but this year has been fantastic.

Latest posts

Back